General Fiction posted January 22, 2017 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson returns from the art museum.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Four part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

He released a deep breath as the man walked away. That got me nowhere. I just have more questions. I'll find out who owns the painting and go home. He moved close enough to the painting to check the owner's name. "Ivan Kuznetsov ! Who's that? Maybe the same Ivan?" He left the exhibit.

Sitting in his car, Anderson called Philip. "Have a background check run on Ivan Kuznetsov . He owns the painting and may have wanted something placed on it."

TODAY'S POST:

The name of the painting and the artist have been changed. I had used a real artwork and decided not to chance it.

Chapter 4 part 3

When Anderson arrived home, he asked Jane to invite Shana to the patio and he notified Helen they'd be eating lunch there.

As Shana stepped through the door, Anderson asked, "Who's Ivan Kuznetsov?"

Jane's eyes met Anderson's. "At least let her sit before the inquisition."

Anderson stood. "Sorry. I discovered that Kuznetsov owns the 'Winter-Traum', but that's all I know." He held a chair for Shana and then one for Jane. He softened his tone. "Helen will have lunch ready in about forty-five minutes."

"I've never heard of him. I have no idea how he got our painting."

"I guess that makes two of us. Philip's running a background check on him."

"Did you learn anything else?" asked Jane.

"Not really, but I was followed to and from the museum." Anderson glanced at Shana. "I'm glad we decided you should stay here."

"Followed?" Shana's eyes widened. "I'm sorry you're in this mess. I had no idea..."

"It's okay," interrupted Jane as she placed her hand over Shana's. "I know you have no more idea what's going on than we do."

Anderson continued, "A man was standing too close to the painting and security told him to step back. Then he went to the hallway and made a call to an Ivan. I'm guessing Kuznetsov. Something was in his hand, but I couldn't tell what. It was too small." He rapped his fingers on the table. "I wish Philip would hurry."

"If you saw the man again, would you recognize him?" asked Jane.

He searched his phone and then held it up. "I can do better than that. I took his picture."

Jane took the phone and studied the photo. "I can only see the side of his face." She passed the phone to Shana. "Have you seen this man before?"

"Next time, I'll be sure to ask him to pose," interrupted Anderson.

Shana stared at the picture. "I can't be sure."

"Go on," urged Anderson. "Have you seen him before?"

"If I did, it was in March when I was here. When I first saw the 'Winter-Traum', I moved closer to get a better look. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and bumped into a man. It might have been the same man." Shana rubbed her arms. "He wasn't very friendly. He grunted and had mean eyes."

"Did this man have mean eyes?" Jane waited for a response.

"I didn't get a good look at his eyes. I was trying to figure out what he had in his hand."

Helen entered the patio. "Drew, lunch will be delayed a little. The grocery store just called and asked if they could make the delivery earlier than normal. I hope that's all right."

Anderson checked his watch. "Not a problem. Can you bring out some snacks? I'm hungry." He turned his head as a female voice said hello through the intercom. "What does she want?" He nodded to Jane. "Helen, forget the snacks."

Jane stood and asked, "Shana, why don't you come to the kitchen with me? I bet we can help."

Anderson walked over to the elevator. "I'm sending the elevator down." He waited at the door.

"I've never had to wait for the elevator before. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were hiding something or somebody." Patricia stood before Anderson, clutching a Judith Leiber handbag.

"Why are you here?"

"I got a visit from two frightening men with a foreign accent. It sounded Middle Eastern. They wanted information a Shana Kohlberg. I told them I had no idea who your new hussy might be. I'm here because I don't want my daughter exposed to her." She tossed her handbag on the couch and sat, running her hand along it. "I always loved this sofa." As she fingered a diamond, embedded in the leather, she crossed her long slender legs.

"Why would anybody named Shana Kohlberg be here? I have no idea why these men would visit you. Are you sure you haven't made somebody angry or owe them money?" Anderson paused. "You can have the sofa. I never liked it anyway."

"I'm not sure this sofa will fit in my tiny penthouse." Patricia looked at Anderson and smiled. "Of course, if you increased my alimony, I could afford a bigger place." After he shook his head, she continued, "Maybe I'll sell it and get something new." She hesitated. "There were only fifty of these made."

Axel and Thor sauntered into the room.

Patricia frowned. "I see you still have those flea bags. Never mind, I don't want this. It smells like dogs and probably has fleas. My daughter comes Monday to spend six weeks with you. What are you going to do with those?" She pointed her perfectly manicured index finger at the dogs.

"I'm not going to do anything with them. Emily likes them and they're very protective of her."

"I won't have my child bitten by fleas or those dangerous animals."

"I refuse to have this conversation with you, again." Anderson stood. "Our daughter's name is Emily. Maybe you should use it instead of referring to her as my child." He walked toward the elevator door. "If you have nothing else to say, I need to get to work."

"I won't have my daughter scared by these men. What are you going to do about them?"

"I'll have them checked out." Anderson paused. "Philip will pick up Emily Monday morning at 9:00. I'll be in D.C. on business."

"I don't want that pervert around my daughter. I hope you still don't have that horrid cook here either."

"If you prefer, I can pick up Emily myself. It'll be around 6:00." When Anderson didn't get a response, he continued, "I'll make sure Emily is well taken care of while you bask in the sun on the British Virgin Islands." He released a deep breath. "Philip and Helen will be here and will assist in Emily's care. I have complete confidence in them."

"I'm going to Fiji this time. That cook won't allow my child to express herself through food."

"Her name is Emily." Anderson set his jaw. "Brownies and banana splits are not a healthy breakfast. Helen will ensure Emily eats healthy food." When Patricia opened her mouth to protest, he added, "I refuse to have this conversation. I have work to do, goodbye." He opened the elevator door.

Once the elevator left, Jane asked, "Do you want me to call your lawyer?"

"Make the appointment for later this afternoon." Anderson muttered, "Philip, you'd better have some good information. How's lunch coming?"


Characters so far:
Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her families painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff -- takes care of Anderson's cars - - and other sundry chores
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident
Ben -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Morozov -- owner of the painting 'Winter-Traum' by Bruno Schmidt - formally 'Litzlberg am Attersee' by Gustav Klimt
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidentally chose a real person, so I have changed it.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter









Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a winter lake scene in Lucerne, Switzerland. The reason for this change is because I messed up, I think, I used a real painting in my novel and have now changed it to a made-up painting and a made-up artist. I'm still going to have him use the gold implants in his artwork. A few artists during that time period used them. I have made NUMEROUS changes in this post. I hope it didn't make numerous errors. I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I'm listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.