Essay Non-Fiction posted January 22, 2017 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The real cost of repealing Obamacare

A chapter in the book Breakfast With The Donald!

The Real Cost Of Repealing Obamacare

by Brett Matthew West



Background
Essays about the 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump
Obamacare, the legacy of Barack Obama's eight-years-of-destruction Presidency of the United States, is Number One on the Republicans' Hit List. But, at what real cost to the American people?

Moreover, what do Republicans intend to replace Obamacare with? Donald Trump's great physique, good looks, and charm? That will not help Americans who need health insurance.

Even Republicans are sharply divided over whether or not to scrap the tax provisions contained in the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) at the same time they repeal the law, or keep them until a suitable GOP replacement has been established.

Here is the Republicans' dilemma. During the 2016 Presidential Election, American voters were promised every part of Obamacare would go immediately upon their taking office. What's that they say about be careful what you wish for?

This promise turned out to be nice rhetoric, when the reality may be that should the Republicans also eliminate the tax increases, and subsidies, contained in Obamacare that assist millions of US citizens with their health coverage, paying for a promised replacement plan could become politically impossible for the GOP to do.

So, knowing that, should the Republicans tread lightly especially knowing that if only three GOP Senators oppose the repeal it could actually be blocked? Keep in mind that most Congressional Republicans signed pledges not to raise taxes.

Louisiana Senator Bill Cassidy explained, "The Obamacare taxes shouldn't be repealed up front, and instead should be replaced as part of a tax overhaul later this year in a separate reconciliation package that would pair fewer tax breaks with lower rates. There will be enough for people to win."

Some House Conservatives, including Representative Jim Jordan of Ohio, empathetically countered with, "Repeal it, get rid of it, every single bit of it, don't keep any of it!"

Then he added, "That's all the taxes, all the mandates, all the things that are in this thing that the American people don't like and that I think have driven up the cost of medicine, {and} hurt economic growth."

Many rank-and-file Republicans oppose the delayed-replacement strategy of GOP leaders. They fear that a repeal measure of that nature would leave the majority of Obamacare in place, especially the tax hikes, so that millions of Americans don't lose their health coverage.

The Chairman of the House Freedom Caucus, North Carolina Representative Mark Meadows, a fiscal conservative, chimed in, "A repeal needs to repeal. I believe {it} needs to be done immediately." (Meaning on the same day as a repeal vote)

He also believes a replacement health care Act should possess a revenue stream and a funding stream that are separate from each other.

Now, let's crunch some numbers shall we? And, we'll start with the loss of revenue from repealing Obamacare's taxes, a number that begins at 800 billion dollars over 10 years, according to the Committee For A Responsible Federal Budget.

These losses would include 150 billion dollars from the 0.9 percent Medicare payroll surtax on wages over $200,000. Another area that would be affected is the 3.8 percent surtax on investment income above $200,000, which they state equates to about 250 billion dollars.

Repealing the parts of Obamacare that generate revenue from fees on medical device companies, insurance companies, drug manufacturers, drug importers, high earners with Medicare, and even tanning salons, would lose about one-fourth of the monies taken in by Obamacare.

A report by the Center On Budget And Policy Priorities stated a Congressional repeal bill passed in 2016 would have produced one trillion dollars in savings over the next ten years.

The Brookings Institute, on Think Row in Washington, D.C., that conducts research in such areas as economics, claims revenue lost from Obamacare's tax increases would only leave 40 percent of the 1.24 trillion in coverage expenses needed over the next 10 years for a Republican replacement Act. If that is true, where is the other 60 percent going to come from?

Repealing Obamacare, and forging a new replacement Act, will likely produce tough battles on re-enacting Medicare payroll taxes on the wealthy, hospital taxes, health industry taxes, and how they will affect the Middle Class and the poor.

Tennessee Senator Bob Corker explained, "The repeal process is going to repeal all revenues but keep in place the subsidies for three years. You're taking 116 billion dollars and just throwing it into a mud puddle by continuing subsidies without revenues."

As much as the Republicans desire to repeal Obamacare, a law that obviously needs replacement, at what cost to the average American citizen should they do so?




Barack Obama's legacy, Obamacare, is Number One on the Republicans' Hit List, but at what cost to the average American citizen should they repeal this law?

No matter what your thoughts and feelings about Trump are, feel free to include them in your reviews.

As American citizens we all have the right to state our opinions. And, that is what this book is designed for. Getting people talking about The Donald.






Here I come To Save The Day, by Barb Baker, selected to compliment my Editorial.

So, thanks Barb Baker, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my Editorial.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.