Essay Non-Fiction posted January 21, 2017 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Aging transportation system jeopardizes economic gains

A chapter in the book Breakfast With The Donald!

Privatizing America's Infrastructure

by Brett Matthew West



Background
Essays about the 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump
(This is an Editorial)

One of the main responsibilities of the Transportation Secretary is to regulate auto, truck, train, aviation, transit, and pipeline safety. A tall order in a country where a backlog of maintenance and repair projects are the norm.

Elaine Chao, Donald Trump's Transportation Secretary-Designate, stated the incoming administration is "Looking to unleash the potential of private investors to boost the nation's transportation networks that hamper the country's economy."

She also stated in testimony given before the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, "Economic gains are being jeopardized by aging infrastructure, rising highway fatalities, growing congestion, and a failure to keep pace with emerging technologies."

The truth of that statement can be observed by looking at almost any major roadway, interstate, or avenue of heavy traffic anywhere in the United States.

Married to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Elaine Chao has previously served as the Secretary of Labor under President George W. Bush. In that position, Chao was frequently criticized by unions for siding with industry when she enforced labor and safety rules. Chao also served as the Deputy Transportation Secretary under President George H.W. Bush.

Remarking, "Private investors should participate in repairing the aging US transportation system," Chao strongly encouraged them with, "a bold, new vision and innovative financing tools that can take full advantage of the estimated trillions in capital that equity firms, pension funds, and endowments can invest."

Chao provided no details about proposed incentives. However, a proposal from economic advisors to Donald Trump recommends offering 137 billion dollars in tax credits to infrastructure investors. They also advise transportation investors are apparently only interested in projects that provide revenue, such as toll roads, although there are only a small number of those projects available.

Another precaution that is needed to be taken is to eliminate tax incentives that create risks of providing windfalls to investors for projects that would have been constructed any way without their involvement in them.

Chao then talked about how the White House would determine issues such as enforcing a deadline for railroads to install train control systems capable of preventing collisions and derailments. She said the same about privatizing air traffic control operations. Both of these are "hot button" issues in the national transportation arena.

Having private citizens, corporations, and businesses invest in repairing and maintaining America's antiquated transportation systems, on the surface, sounds like a real good idea. But, when you peel away the underlying layers, is it?




No matter what your thoughts and feelings about Trump are, feel free to include them in your reviews.

As American citizens we all have the right to state our opinions. And, that is what this book is designed for. Getting people talking about The Donald.







Here I come To Save The Day, by Barb Baker, selected t compliment my Editorial.

So, thanks Barb Baker, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my Editorial.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.