Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 9, 2017 Chapters:  ...440 441 -442- 443... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
AN Alfred Dorn Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

The Heart in the City

by Treischel


I traveled down the central city street
in downtown, where the buildings frame the sky,
where architecture reigns, like mountain peaks,
and cars roam canyons made from formed concrete,
as trains and buses often wander by
the buildings bonded using bridge techniques.

These manmade monuments consume the scene,
and green's a color seldom ever seen.

And yet, there's beauty that your eyes may greet!
An ordered chaos sets this sight apart.
Unique detail provides esthetic treat ,
while "ancient" often meets "state-of-the-art."
Now note that smokey statement in the heat
that says that "Even cities have a heart."





Recognized


This is Fourth Street in downtown St. Paul, Minnesota. I wrote this ekphrastic poem that describes the scene as I observed it from a skywalk while my wife and I enjoyed a winter walk. I was drawn by the smoke, and was amazed to see the some of it formed a heart. That was real, not in any way doctored. So this will become part of my Animated Stills collection.

This poem is an Alfred Dorn Sonnet.
An Alfred Dorn Sonnet is named after its creator and is distinguished by two Sestets bridged by a Couplet. The first one is an Italian Sestet, having a rhyme scheme of: abcabc. The second one is a Sicilian Sestet, taking the scheme of: aeaeae. So the entire rhyme scheme becomes abcabc dd aeaeae. Note that the "a" rhyme is a linking rhyme between the 2 Sestets. Written in iambic pentameter. The turn (or volta) is at line 9, as in most Sonnets.

This photograph was taken by the author himself using his cell phone on Jan 6, 2017.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.