Commentary and Philosophy Script posted January 9, 2017 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Prose Potlatch Challenge: A play about bullying

A chapter in the book Scripts

Lessons

by michaelcahill

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

Scene One: A small high school basketball court. A few kids are playing a pick-up game when another kid comes up on them. The game stops and some of the kids run away.
 

Characters:

Brick: The school bully. He's large and mean. The other students are afraid of him
and he knows it.
 
Larry: Brick's favorite target. Larry is small, but he tries to stand up to Brick anyway.
It does him no good.
 
Ricky: Larry's best friend. He tells Larry to just go along with whatever Brick wants, it's easier that way.
 
Joe: Sides with Brick out of fear. Brick thinks he's a punk, but lets him tag along.
 
Various other kids, some with Brick, most just bystanders hoping to be left alone.
 
 

                      Fade in: Brick, Joe and a couple others come upon Larry and his friends playing basketball.
 


Brick: You punks can take off now. We have a reservation.
 
Larry: We're almost done. We'll be off in a few minutes.
 
                     Half the players on the court are already leaving.

Brick: Looks like your friends get the picture. Maybe you need it clarified.
 
Ricky: Just let him have the damn court. Everyone's taking off anyway. What the hell does it matter now?
 
Larry: It matters because it's our court. Like I said, Brick, a few minutes and we'll be done.
 
             Brick walks slowly towards Larry with a clenched fist. Ricky starts to pull Larry away.
 

Brick: Better pay attention to your friend, punk. He's giving you some good advice. I'd hate to have to bruise my knuckles on your lame face.
 
Larry: You don't scare me ...
 
                  Ricky pushes him towards the exit gate before he can complete his sentence.
 
                  Ricky speaks to Larry outside the gate:

 

Ricky: Dammit, Larry, I get tired of rescuing you. Just let him have the damn court. Is it worth getting your ass kicked to play a crappy game of basketball with a bunch of nimrods? Christ.
 
Larry: So, I should just bend over every time he speaks. That's fine for you, but I'd rather get beat. You've got to stand up for yourself. That's what my Dad says and that's what my gut tells me.
 


Scene Two:
 

Brick and Joe are walking by the local courts at the park on the north end of town with a couple friends. They are confronted by some bigger kids who look like gang members.
 


Gang member 1: Hey, thanks, Homie, you found our ball.
 
Brick: This is our ball. You're not getting it, so don't even dream it.
 
Gang member 2: What? Did you call my homey an asshole? I can't believe you're walking down our street, homes, stealing our ball and then you have the nerve to call my home boy an asshole.
 
Brick: Screw you. I didn't say shit. This is my ball. I'm going home. I'm not looking for trouble.
 
Gang member 1: Well, girl, trouble is looking for you. Now, you want to go home to mommy, that's fine. Just drop our ball right there and head on home.
 
Joe: Drop the ball, fool. Don't be an idiot. These guys aren't playing. Are you blind? There's four of us and who knows how many of them. Leave it.
 

           Brick stands there for a moment. He is visibly shaking. He drops the ball and starts to walk.
 

Gang member 2: Damn! I don't believe it. What a punk. I should kick your ass just for being a punk. But I'm feeling charitable. So, you pay the toll and you're free to go.
 
Brick: Toll? What toll?
 
Gang member 1: The toll, homes. The toll to cross our street.
 

              Brick shakes harder. There is no masking his fear any longer.
 

Brick: How much is the toll?
 
Gang member 2: How much you got? And you others too, how much you got.
 

            Brick, Joe and their two friends empty out their pockets. As this takes place a stranger                    walks up on the scene.
 

Stranger: What's going on here.
 
Gang member 1: This ain't your concern, homes. Just move along.
 
Stranger: I'm making it my concern. It looks to me like your robbing these boys. I don't think I like that.
 

              The stranger walks up close to the two gang members and looks into the eyes of gang  member 2.
 

Stranger: You boys run along now. I'm gonna hang with my new friends here.
 

                Brick and the others stuff their money in their pockets and head for home.
 

Stranger: Hey, you forgot your ball.
 

               The stranger throws the ball down the street towards Brick.








 



Recognized




I have no idea how to write a play. Sooooo, be kind, but helpful. LOL


Write a short play on the topic of:

BULLYING

Remember, bullying comes in MANY forms, the typical schoolyard variety, but it also exists in the workplace, relationships, politics and even here in many forms.

Don't worry about format. But remember in a play that YOU provide directions and set the scene for the characters. Where are they, what are they doing, who is who, etc. You can't go wrong, so give it your best shot. :))


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.