Romance Fiction posted January 8, 2017 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson makes plans to go to the museum.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Four part eine

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Shana looked down at Romeo, who had put his head in her lap, and then back at Anderson. "Why is this happening?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out." Anderson checked his watch. "It's too late tonight, but first thing in the morning I'm going to visit the art museum and see if I can find out any information."

"I'll come with you," said Shana.

"No you won't. We're working hard to make sure those men aren't positive you're here."

"I doubt they'll give you any information about my situation."

"She has a point," said Jane.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 4 part 1 (1/8/17)

The following morning, over a cup of coffee, Anderson checked when the art museum opened. "Philip, I want to be at the museum at 10:00."

"Have you decided what to do about Shana? She has a valid point. The curator won't discuss any information with you. You paid off the hotel manager to get her luggage, but I doubt a huge donation will help at the museum."

"I have to find out who owns the painting, and then do background checks. Maybe it'll tell us who or what we're dealing with."

Jane stepped in. "Do you know the Jewish Sabbath continues until the first three stars are seen tonight?"

Philip's eyes widened. "That may be a way of keeping Shana here."

"Are there exceptions to the Sabbath?" asked Anderson.

"There are always exceptions to anything. You know that." Jane dusted a rustic oak hutch.

"Quit dusting." Anderson smiled. "I know you're in here because you're nosy and want to be part of the planning. Pour yourself some coffee and take a seat."

"I've already enlightened you about when the Sabbath ends. Who knows what other valuable information I might be able to share." Jane added cream to her coffee.

"Shana had prepared to leave today. I'm sure she didn't pack enough clothes for an extended stay." Philip took a piece of paper from his jacket pocket. "Jane, you should make a list and do some shopping."

"I hadn't thought about it. Her suitcase was small." Jane sat, began to think, and wrote down some things. "Her clothes are casual. I'd better not get anything too fancy."

From the doorway, Shana said, "I'll wash my clothes. I won't need anything. I do appreciate the thought."

"I'm glad you're up." Anderson buzzed the kitchen. "Helen, we're ready for breakfast."

"Give me about fifteen minutes and I'll be ready."

"You didn't need to wait for me to have breakfast. I'm sorry, if I had known, I would've hurried." Shana looked down at the dog standing beside her. "Anderson, could you please do something about Romeo? He follows me everywhere." She hesitated. "And I do mean everywhere."

"First, please call me Drew. My friends do." Anderson continued, "I usually eat breakfast after my second cup of coffee. I'm still drinking my first, so we're a little early." He smiled. "As for your escort, he'll be by your side as long as you're here. He'll make sure you're always safe."

"Your apartment's very secure. How could anything happen?"

"Mistakes happen. He'll ensure nothing does. He was missing for about two hours this morning, and you didn't notice." As Shana raised an eyebrow, Anderson continued, "I took the dogs for a run. Romeo was with us."

"How did he get out of my room?"

"I let him out and back in," said Jane. "Drew isn't allowed in the East wing."

Philip laughed. "I like the way you said that."

"The way I understand the Shabbat is a time you turn off the world. Is that right?" asked Jane.

"Yes, it's a time of comfort and peace."

Helen walked in pushing a cart. "Breakfast is ready."

All were silent while Helen prepared the table. After everyone was served Jane continued, "You'll be followed if you go to a synagogue. Is there something you can do here?"

"Yes. I was prepared. When I was flying home today, I knew I wouldn't have time, so I planned my own service, of sorts."

"You understand you have access to the entire apartment, don't you?" Anderson poured syrup over his French toast.

"Thank you, but I don't want to take advantage of your hospitality." Shana took a sip of orange juice.

"Don't worry about that. I want you to make yourself at home. Mi casa es su casa."

Jane laughed. "You aren't in Texas anymore."

"You're originally from Texas?" asked Shana. Anderson nodded and she continued, "How did you get to New York?"

"I'm only here part of the year. The rest of the year, I'm at my home in Texas. I represent my family at the stock exchange."

"His family dabbles in oil." Helen reached for the sausage links. "Shana, would you like some?"

"No, thank you. I'm fine with French toast and fruit."

"You can't eat pork, can you?" Jane studied the platter of sausage.

"Please, don't worry about it. This is more than plenty."

"Tomorrow I'll fix bacon." Helen set her napkin on the table.

Philip smiled. "Helen, where does bacon come from?"

She laughed. "Duh, hogs." She sighed. "Okay, I had a momentary lapse. I'm sorry, Shana. I'll get it together, someday."

They continued to laugh.

Philip checked his watch and motioned to Anderson; who nodded.

Anderson finished his coffee and stood. "I'd better get ready for my museum trip." He took out his cell and called Jeff. "I'll be leaving in about ten minutes. Please have my car ready."

****

My version of a character list.

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to recover her family's painting

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff -- takes care of Anderson's cars

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Ben -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron - - Shana's older brother; very protective of her






Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a plate of French toast. I have come to realize that many of my novels have a lot of food in them. Hmmm, wonder why? LOL I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I am listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.