Fantasy Science Fiction posted January 1, 2017 Chapters:  ...52 53 -54- 55... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nancy and Victor take on the witch sisters.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

Allies and Enemies-Part 1

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Nancy Jordan and the other Daredevil team members, seek to evacuate kids from the embattled school and halt the witch sisters from blowing it up.
Tabby peered down the hall before she, Elizabeth, and close to a dozen students crept toward the girl's bathroom. During the night, Belle had opened a window in an attempt to feel less like a victim.

Her twin, Billy, had praised her prowess, but suggested the window could have been opened from the inside at any time. Tabby reminded him that all preparations, no matter how simple, can serve multiple purposes. In this case, it helped his sister remember a place they could escape.

As the group pressed forward, they heard the unmistakable roar of a full-scale war occurring at the opposite end of the hall.

"Should we go help?" Billy asked.

"Not our business," Elizabeth said. "Remember the Daredevil Girl code?"

"Complete the assignment we're given and do it well?"

"Yes, and right now, our job is to get out of this building and away from the bomb. Leave the fighting for those equipped to do so."

Tabby opened the bathroom door and they all poured inside.

"There's the window," Belle said, pointing.

Billy walked over and cracked it open further. He looked outside.

"I don't see anyone," he said. "You want me to climb through and check?"

"No," Tabby said. "Let me and Elizabeth do it."

"Why, because you're grown?"

"Yeah, and more experienced."

"And you were how old when you became a Daredevil Girl?"

"About your age," Tabby said, "but that's beside the point. Elizabeth and I know the players in this fight better than you, plus Nancy would kill us if we let you get hurt."

"Because we aren't in mortal danger right now?"

"Are you always this much trouble?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Fine, come with me," Tabby said. "Elizabeth, would you mind staying with the group until Billy the lawyer, and I get back?"

"Sure, we're good. Go for it."

Tabby crawled through the window and dropped onto the ground outside. A few tense moments later, her hand appeared through the window and motioned for Billy to follow.

Billy turned to look at his sister, winked, then hopped onto the window sill. He hated leaving his sister and friends behind, hated this war, and hated that he was so scared. He looked from side to side, and landed on the ground beside Tabby.

"What next?" he asked, pushing fear to the same place in his mind he pushed hate--neither would make him strong, and neither would help him rescue the people he loved.

"Keep close to the building," Tabby said. "I hear voices around the corner. What's over there?"

"The band hall," Billy said. "Do you think they're fighting there, too?"

"I don't know. Let's hope not."

Tabby looked around the corner, apprehension causing her skin to crawl and her mouth go dry. She watched as several men grabbed kids and put them inside a van. Were they kidnappers or rescuers?

"Billy, do you know these people?"

"Not the adults, but the kids are 8th graders. The band room is in their hall. They don't look very scared of the men, though."

"No, they don't," Tabby said. "Good eye for detail."

"Thanks. You know I do want to be a lawyer when I grow up?"

"No, but I'm not surprised. You'll be a great one, too."

"If we live through this."

"We will... we have to."

Tabby looked back at the group.

"Hey, wait, I know the man standing close to the door."

"Is he a good-guy?"

"Pretty much. His name's Jerry, and he's a Day Walker... a good vampire."

"I didn't know they came that way," Billy said.

"It's kind of a long story."

"One for later?"

"Yeah."

With the careful instincts inherent in all vampires, good and bad alike, Jerry looked up and caught Tabby's eye. He nodded...Tabby nodded back.

*****

Nancy stood beside Victor Brewer, her chest tightening with pain and exhaustion. She gazed around the auditorium, wondering how everything had turned so complicated. Not 24 hours earlier, she was telling Daredevil Girl stories to a group of middle school students and teachers. Sure, she was nervous, but all was going well until her boss turned into a witch and took their school hostage.

There had been werewolves, terror, and imprisonment. The long, slow night proved torturous... the morning offered little more. Nancy and the other Daredevils, however, were able to escape their bonds and begin to rescue children. Nancy had no idea how the others of her team fared once they parted company, but, for her own sanity, had to hope they were successful.

She and Victor were given the job of keeping an eye on the witches. They were careful and quiet--Nancy from experience, Victor from necessity.

Their long journey began in the cafeteria and led back to the auditorium, where the sisters prepared sequestered reporters for their part in a much anticipated media announcement.

The women were beautiful to the eye, but rotten inside, like an apple left too long on the tree. They pranced around as though throwing a party rather than a hostile takeover.

"So, you're used to this?" Victor whispered.

"I wouldn't say 'used to it'," Nancy replied, "but neither am I surprised."

"Really?" Victor asked, pointing toward the back of the auditorium. "How does that rate on your surprise scale?"

Nancy's eyebrows raised as doors burst open and hordes of supernatural creatures poured in. Most had on white T-shirts with something written on them she couldn't read, but all began to engage the evil werewolves in battle.

"Yeah, that's a bit unusual."

"What do you want to do?"

"What else? Fight!"

Standing on the edge of battle, the veil of time lifted and Nancy became a warrior once more. As she watched the conflict in the auditorium build, her limbs renewed with vigor, her heart raced like a wild beast, and her brain grew clearer and more focused.

A familiar metallic taste appeared in Nancy's mouth... the irrefutable mark of adrenaline. She might have tried to hide her past, but now, when she needed it most, the Daredevil Girl was reborn.
.



Recognized


Special thanks for the artwork, "The Firebird" by cleo85. I think it fits perfectly!


General Summary of book:

Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:

Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill

Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother

Mrs. Pierson/ Witch Gelada: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal

Melba, Anastasia, and Matilda: Witch sisters of Mrs. Pierson/Gelada

Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.

Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".

Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.

Theo: Werewolf captor who is bronze colored and the nicer of the two.
Truman: Meaner and less intelligent of the two werewolf captors of the Daredevil Girl Supporters inside the school.

Jerry Crandall: Daywalker Vampire ally of Emory Settler

Gooblie: Goblin ally of Emory Settler

Akhenaten II/Akie: Ahmed's alter ego as a reanimated mummy, the son of Pharaoh Akhenaten I and Queen Nefertiti

Sean: Caterer and Leprechaun.

Sage: Sally's wise beyond her species, cat sidekick.


Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes

Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde

Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair

Billy Conner: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair

Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American

Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister

Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American. Real name is Tabitha

Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage

Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangling, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.

Bruce: Becky's little brother, the only "Daredevil Guy"

Kurt: Young and handsome Captain of the Shadow Wolves, a group of fringe werewolves who denounce the shedding of innocent blood.

Tommy: Student helping Bruce and Becky



Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.