Spiritual Non-Fiction posted December 29, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Where our hope lies

Be Strong and Courageous

by Roxanna Andrews


One of my very favorite passages in the Bible is Joshua 1. Moses had died and God has given the responsibility of leading the Hebrew nation over to Joshua. He tells him again and again to be strong and courageous.

In verse 5 God tells Joshua that as He was with Moses, He will be with him. In verse 9 God tells him, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Joshua was not a shrinking violet, he was one tough dude, but there seemed to be one thing that did scare him, taking over leadership of a people who could be most disagreeable. He had watched Moses, had been his right hand man for many years, and he must have despaired of the people some days, wanting to wash his hands of them. God knew this was no easy task He had assigned Joshua. He encourages him over and over, and lets him know He was there for him no matter what.

A testament of Joshua being qualified to lead was the reaction of the people when he took over leadership. Neither Joshua nor God announced to the people that he would assume that role, he just took command. Not one man spoke against him, in fact they pledged their allegiance to him. They told him, "As we were with Moses, we will be with you." And if any man rebelled against him, he would be put to death.

I am an admirer of great courage, for you see, I have very little. There is a movie that I love called, "The Ghost and The Darkness." It to is about courage.

I so admired the young engineer, the main character, played by Val Kilmer. He is sent to Africa to help in the building of the railroad. The Ghost, and The Darkness are what the Masai people of Africa, call two lions terrorizing the men building the railroad.

The work is stalling because of the fear the people have of the lions and they are refusing to work. The building of the railway is falling far behind the deadline. The young engineer's main job is to get the work going again, and get the project back on schedule.

Much of his time in the first few months is spent trying to catch the lions. His courage is amazing as he faces down two huge beasts who have a taste for human flesh. He is but an ordinary man, not a skilled hunter, just an engineer who is determined.

There is much more to the story and I hope I didn't give too much away, but the lions are on exhibit at a museum in Detroit. I guess we know what happens to them. It is a true story. I recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Both of these men, the young engineer, and Joshua, faced a daunting task, and both were given the courage to fulfill them.

Courage is something I greatly lack, but am encouraged that God will supply it when needed. When faced with daunting, seemingly impossible tasks, God says, I am with you wherever you go. He's there in the smaller things too, for they often seem so big.

So when faced with uncertainty and fear, "Be strong and courageous for the Lord your God is with you, wherever you go." Joshua 1:9.

"In this world you have tribulation, but have courage, for I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (Spoken by Jesus to his disciples).




Picture from Google.

I'm not sure when The Ghost and The Darkness was made, it is fairly old, maybe15 yrs ago. But It is a good movie, I do recommend it. I believe it is rated R for the gory scenes with the lions, but they are mild compared to much you see in movies today. There is little bad lang and no nudity or sex.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.