General Non-Fiction posted December 26, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Car crash or wild life encounter

Brake Fluid Leak

by persevere

" There's a giraffe"
" Where?"
Our Dad pulled to the side of the dirt road.
There , in a grove of msasa trees , was a majestic creature whose neck
seemed to rise forever.

In our old, trusty Chevrolet we travelled on.
A herd of springbuck , with the elevation of Nureyev, suddenly crossed in front of us.
Dad applied the brakes; the car did not respond. The nimble animals avoided contact.
Again Dad pulled to the side of the road.
Opening the bonnet he made a cursory examination of the workings of our trusty vehicle.
" The brake fluid has all leaked out. We will just have to proceed with the utmost care"

The journey resumed, at snail's pace.
Vultures were spotted soaring above. There must have been a kill nearby.

On turning a corner, the road ahead seemed to descend steeply to a low bridge. It rose on the other side and then seemed to level out. Again Dad stopped the car .
Turning to Mum, he declared, " You will all have to get out and I will proceed on my own. I cannot risk your lives if the car doesn't ascend the far side safely"

" Peter, this is a game reserve and we are certainly not going for a walk. We will stay in the car and face the consequences together"
Grim-faced, Father started the engine. A roller coaster ride followed but we made it to level ground on the other side.



No brakes writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story of any length. But at some point your character must be stuck in a car with no brakes.


This is an early childhood memory. The game reserve in question had roads better described as dirt tracks and the game was far more prolific, sadly , than it is today. Travelling there in the short rainy season was not advised.
Obviously we made it in our trusty Chev to the camp or I would not be telling this tail.
Thank you to click3333 for his circling vulture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. persevere All rights reserved.
persevere has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.