Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted December 25, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Prose Potlatch Challenge--Ekphraksis

Like a River Makes a Mountain

by michaelcahill














 

After this many years, hallucinations are welcome in my world. I dare say I think I may even have control over their appearance and temperament.
 
When I reached a point where I knew hallucinations came from my mind and reality remained reality, I grew to enjoy them. I no longer felt as though my mind failed me, but rather my mind helped me and even soothed me by assuaging my loneliness.
 
A woman of uncommon loveliness, a figment, a brief fairy flight of fancy, tickles the giddiness of something inside me I can't begin to define. I observe her from a distance as I pretend to live a drab existence. Nothing is drab in her realm.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
It will soon be Winter. He's a good man. I am without complaint. But, snow is cold and warmth is essential. These few fish mean so much to us if there is to be an us. I will tell him once again how wonderful he is. It spurs him to be a fisherman.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
I am this river, one of many rivers. Though there is that perception that water is water, an angry vapor the same as an indifferent glacier, the truth is, I am. It isn't the water that makes me a river. It is my awareness of life inside me. It is the sense of purpose I feel seeking my destination. It is the connection I make between a dreaming man and a practical woman.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
A moment has no measure. Time is the sum of all moments.



 



Recognized




"Like a river makes a mountain" is a line from a song, "Cell by Cell".

"Somewhere deep inside
Where I cannot hide
cell by cell.

Like a river makes a mountain
because it is a river
cell by cell,
cell by cell"

POTLATCH Poetry AND Prose Topic: 12-24

For the Poetry Potlatchers:
Write a poem based on the following picture:
You may change the picture to one that suits you better if you wish.



For the Prose Potlatchers, write a STORY. :))
You may also substitute an image more to your liking.

An ekphrastic poem is a vivid description of a scene or, more commonly, a work of art. Through the imaginative act of narrating and reflecting on the action of a painting or sculpture, the poet may amplify and expand its meaning.
Simply put: Take a look at the image and use your imagination to write whatever you are inspired to write. :))


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.