Romance Fiction posted December 18, 2016 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More information becomes available.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Three part Eine

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I'll show you the paperwork." Shana hurried to the room she was staying in.

Moments later, she returned with the satchel and took out an envelope. From that, she carefully removed a yellowed fragile document written in German. "Here's the documentation that the painting belongs to us. Earlier today, the museum had an expert verify this paper is authentic. They then made a special copy of it and were going to move the process along to the next step. It'll take longer because I refused to leave this with them."

"I don't blame you one bit," added Jane.

All heads turned at a sound of a doorbell ringing.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 3 part 1

Philip went to the elevator and spoke into the intercom, "Hello, may I help you?"

"I'm ready to walk the boys," replied Ben.

Anderson nodded to Philip and then faced Shana. "Jane will take you to your room. We'll talk during dinner." He held the chair for Shana to stand. "I think it's best if nobody knows you're here."

"I have done nothing wrong." Shana's eyes met Anderson's.

"I know, dear," said Jane as she put her arm around Shana's shoulder. "Drew's erring on the side of caution."

Philip waited until the women had left before he sent down the elevator.

When Ben entered the room, the three dogs sat holding their leashes in their mouths. "I see you guys are ready." He rubbed each head before turning to Philip. "I'm not used to the elevator being locked. Is something going on?"

"No. Drew's addressing Congress Monday about an oil deal. He wants to make sure there aren't any special interest groups trying to change his mind."

"You mean lobbyists?" Ben paused. "He acts like a normal dude. I forget he's all important."

Philip laughed. "He does too, sometimes."

"Today, we'll go to Central Park for a run. The boys like that path." He stepped into the elevator. The three German Shepherds followed.

*****

Later, Philip walked into Anderson's den and said, "I just received a call from Ben. He knows it sounds ridiculous but he thinks somebody's spying on him. He said the boys are acting suspicious. They feel something's wrong. Should he continue with their exercise?"

Anderson nodded. "Tell him to continue. I don't want any schedules changed. We'll continue our normal activities. I don't want anybody thinking we're hiding something or somebody. I'll send a security detail to the park as a precaution." He tapped numbers on his cell. Within moments, he sent three undercover security men to Central Park. He rapped the end of his pen on his desk. "This has to be about more than a painting. Nobody would get this upset over the possibility of losing a painting. It can't be worth that much."

"I did some research. Gustav Klimt's artwork sells for anywhere from $39 million to $135 million. Shana's family would be rich if they had possession of that painting." Philip sat in a leather chair beside Anderson's desk.

"Have you found out what her father does?"

"He teaches static and dynamic loads at Bradley University's school of Civil Engineering."

"They aren't rich, but doing all right. How about her mother?"

"She stays at home."

"Have you been able to find out any other information?"

"She has one brother, Aaron. He's doing his residency. Aaron is Shana's big brother and is very protective of her. A grandmother resides with her parents. They're a very close family. I couldn't find any reason to be suspicious. They seem like a very normal law-abiding family."

Anderson stretched his neck from side-to-side. "It doesn't make an ounce of sense."

"I agree." Philip got up to answer the intercom and said into it, "I'm sending down the elevator."

Anderson walked in as Ben and Philip were talking. He interrupted, "Somebody asked who was here?"

"Yes, sir. Two men approached as we were waiting for the elevator. I told them I only saw you and Philip. Is that a problem?"

"No." Anderson watched him unhook the leashes and the dogs return them to the proper place before he said, "Why would anybody ask that?"

"Why would anybody care about where I exercise your dogs?" Ben paused. "Oh yeah, a man walked by and told me I needed to muzzle those dogs. Can you believe it? They weren't bothering anybody." He turned to leave. "I need to get going. I've got a big test tomorrow."

"Have you had dinner, yet?" After Ben said he hadn't, Anderson gave him some cash and said, "There's a pizza place around the corner. Have some dinner."

"Thanks."

Anderson watched Ben leave and then called the company in charge of his security and ordered a permanent detail on Ben.




Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of three German Shepherds. I couldn't decide on artwork, so I went back to the dogs. LOL I appreciate all of your reviews and the help and support you give me. I am listing this under romance because it is a romance, but those of you who have previously followed me know my romances are more than just romance, this novel will have suspense as an underlying theme.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.