Family Non-Fiction posted December 17, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Thank you AR Style pix for the use of your great picture.

Christmas in PA

by Teri7


This time next week we should be sitting in the living room of my mother and father in law. This is a time that I happen to love and cherish.

They are now in their early eighties and going strong. They travel around the world and love it. They have seen many great sights.

Tom was very blessed to have parents like this in his life. After my mom and dad died I adopted them as my parents. They are the best!

Wednesday or Thursday of next week we will be headed there in our vehicle. It is sixteen hour drive and my husband, Tom drives it all. We get to see the pretty sites along the way and stop at Cracker Barrels to eat and check out the things in there to see if we need to do any last minute shopping.

It is very hard to buy presents for Mom and Dad Shortess as they have everything they need and most of what they really want. They are not rich, but have plenty of money. They have been very wise in their time.

They make it a point to give us $100.00 to $150.00 for Christmas and birthdays. They don't do this only for us as they do it for our three sons, our daughter in laws and grandson. We are truly blessed.

After stopping at the Cracker Barrel we head to our hotel room and relax and sleep until morning.

We awake refreshed and as I look out the curtain I see pretty snow everywhere. I am always so happy to see the snow where ever it its.

I stop for a moment to think about our girls(cats) at home and our son taking care of them. I put in a call to hear that they are all doing fine. A true blessing to me.

We get back on the road to Mom and Dad's house. As we are traveling we see the beautiful houses and stores. Makes me kind of want to stop and shop, but not going to happen right now. We want to see everyone in PA.

We drive for hours, getting a little hungry and ready for a potty break. We again stop at the closest Cracker Barrel for food and potty time. We talk about our planned day as we eat.

I finish up eating my meatloaf, green beans and carrots while Tom is doing the same. For some reason we usually end up eating the same.

Back on the road hopefully headed to Mom and Dad's house now. As Tom is driving I watch the sky and roads. The sun is slowly going down and it's getting colder. My eyes are getting sleepy and tired, but I know we can't stop yet. Just a few more miles to happiness with our family for Christmas time.

We finally see the sign that says Bethlehem, PA. What a joyful site!

We slowly pull up into the drive and see the little candle lights that are always there to welcome all that visit them this time of year.

My heart is beating so fast knowing that I am fixing to see mom, dad, Timothy, Anne and Jeremy! Wow! It's been over a year and I wonder how they look now? Anne has visited Thailand since then and Mom and Dad have been to different places all over the world.

We open the door to five smiling faces that have arms of love outstretched to us for lots of hugs!

Home at last for our Christmas vacation.

May the Good Lord shine bright in all your homes this Christmas as it is because of Him that we celebrate this wonderful time of the year! May God bless you each and everyone!



Teresa A. Shortess
Copyright@2016



Christmas Story contest entry

Recognized


This is not a professionally written story by any means. If you see something really off I would appreciate you telling me but this story is not going anywhere other than here. No books or family will see other than me. I love you all!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by AR Style pix at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Teri7 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Teri7 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.