Commentary and Philosophy Script posted December 18, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Don't be afraid

Diversity

by lancellot


stage

Act 1
Scene 2

Characters:
Congressman Adam Schapiro: 60 year old male; married father of three; Lawyer; Graduate of University of Chicago class of 81’. Political Party: Republican. He sits on various Congressional committees including Immigration and Education. Guest Speaker and friend of Professor McClain.

Professor Tom McClain: 55 year old male, Political Science instructor at the University of Chicago. Political Affiliation- Independent. Former Illinois State Representative 23rd. district. Friend of Congressman Schapiro.

Joylene Carlyle: 22 year old black female, 3rd year student; major Urban Development; Political Affiliation: Democrat, from Chicago; Vice President of the Black Student’s Union; activist
 
Setting: December 13, 2016 2pm; University of Chicago Lecture hall; course: Political Science 315. The room is packed with students and a few members of the faculty. Several students are recording with cell phones.

Congressman Schapiro stands behind his podium and adjusts his glasses. He looks down at the young lady standing at the microphone.

Congressman Schapiro: I see you’ve… found a spot in line.

Joylene: You have a problem with a black woman asking you a question?

Congressman: (smiles) Maybe you should ask the young man you bumped in line?

Joylene turns around, glares at the man behind her and then turns back.

Joylene: He fine. He has more than enough privileges already.

Several students snap their fingers and some boo.
Professor McClain raises his hand and the students quiet down.

Congressman: Then by all means, please proceed.

Joylene: Before we begin, will you declare and renounce your straight white male privilege?

Congressman: (smiling) Well, I cannot renounce what I do not have.

Joylene: Oh, you have it. You definitely have it. That’s a fact.

Several black students in the front row, all wearing matching black shirts with rainbow fists stand and snap their fingers.
Congressman Schapiro waits until they sit down.

Congressman: Well, if you already believe that, why do you need me to declare it?

Joylene: (snapping her neck) I don’t need anything from a white man.

Congressman: (raises his hand) Young lady, please. There are other people who have questions.

Joylene: Fine. What laws are you going to sponsor to bring more diversity to this country? What are you going to do to make government and companies look more like America? Diversity means being inclusive to blacks, browns, LGBT and women. (Raises her fist) Because America shouldn’t look like a white winter wonderland!

A thunderous applause erupts from a large group of students.
Congressman Schapiro nods his head and waits for the students to retake their seats and quiet down.

Congressman: You know, I noticed that most of the people cheering are actually white themselves.

The same group of white students again rises up and cheers.

Congressman: You people sure are dedicated to your cause. I wonder… which of you would be willing to give up your spot here on campus to a minority who wants an education, or go to where your white fathers work, you know the guy who’s paying for your education, and demand that your dad be fired and replaced by a minority in the name of diversity. Anyone?

Congressman Schapiro takes a step back and extends his arm.

Congressman: Well come on; don’t be shy. You weren’t shy a minute ago. Anyone… anyone at all?

The room gets quiet as no students leave their seats.

Congressman: That’s what I thought. (Looks down at Joylene) You know, I’ve always found it interesting that many of those championing diversity and inclusion don’t mind excluding an entire group of people.

(Lowers his head and takes a deep breath.)

You cannot fight discrimination by discriminating. You cannot end racism against one group by being racist to another. If you want people to be treated equally, then be the first to treat everyone equally. We lead and learn through example.

Did I answer your question?

Joylene: You just confirmed what I already knew. You people will never see our pain and our struggles. You will never understand why we fight and sacrifice against the oppression all black people endure every single day.

Congressmen: All? Do you even hear what you are saying? How do you know what all black people experience everyday? That very statement is assuming that all people of certain group are this or that, or experience the same thing by virtue of their skin color, and that is the very definition of bigotry. Fight for your rights but be careful you do not become the very thing you oppose.

Joylene opens her mouth, and then closes it. She rolls her eyes and leaves the mic.

Fade to black
 



Recognized



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.