Fantasy Science Fiction posted December 3, 2016 Chapters:  ...50 51 -52- 53... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Bruce and Becky get help from unexpected places.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

DDG Chapter 52--Unforeseen Help

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
Last chapter, we saw different groups inside the school, and what they were doing once the battle horn sounded outside Milton Middle school. This chapter focuses on the efforts of Bruce and Becky.
Summary of last few chapters:

Nancy Jordan's student, Tina Alice, escaped Milton Middle School, which had been besieged by evil beings. Through various trials, she made her way home where she was able to contact, Emory Settler, a special officer in charge of supernatural beings. On the way, she enlisted the help of a Shadow Wolf captain, Kurt Kirkpatrick, a handsome young werewolf and medical student.

The last chapter focused on the efforts of different members of the Daredevil Girls and Guys to rescue hostages and upset the plans of the witches.


The new chapter continues with a focus on Bruce and Becky, who have a group of freed hostages in the Band Hall.


"Shh," Bruce warned. He leaned against the band room door and began to ease it open. Becky and the kids held their collective breaths, crossed their many fingers, and prayed that the way would be clear.

Before Bruce could get the door completely open, a large hand jerked it out of his grasp. The kids gasped as they saw a tall, dark-haired man appear on the outside. Partially cloaked in shadow, alluring blue eyes drew them to a face that could have been either cruel or kind, depending on the angle viewed.

"Who are you?" Bruce asked.

"Jerry Crandall," the man answered, stepping out of the shadows. He was a tall man with an air of importance and power. A golden hue tinted perfect skin, and the trace of a smile graced his handsome face.

"Jerry... Jerry the Vampire?" Bruce stuttered.

"In the flesh."

"Whose side are you on?" Becky stepped forward as though approaching an old acquaintance, her tone somewhere between accusation and trust.

"As always, yours," Jerry said with a sweeping bow. "I haven't changed my ways, but came in response to a plea from a determined young lady named Tina Alice..."

"You've seen Tina?" Bruce asked, his heart speeding up. "You have no idea how worried we've been."

"I didn't exactly see her," Jerry said. "She and I spoke on the phone. From what I understand, Emory Settler gave her the task of rallying the troops."

"But she's safe?" Becky asked.

"From what I could tell, yes. She seemed at ease, though in a terrible hurry to fulfill her mission. Right now, though, we need to get all of you out of this building. It's my understanding the witches have a bomb planted in the bowels of the school."

"Yes, we've heard about it as well," Bruce said. "I'll instruct the kids to follow you, but Becky and I need to stay behind to free other hostages."

"Very well."

"How are you going to get them away?" Becky asked. "There are a lot of children."

"I have connections at the bus barn," Jerry said. "There's a fleet of buses waiting in the parking lot, and lots of friends to drive them."

"Reliable friends?" Bruce asked with a raised brow.

"Quite reliable. Some are my kind, others are human associates, but all can be trusted. There isn't a person out there who wouldn't risk their lives for these children."

"Are you really a vampire?" Tommy asked, joining the adults.

"I'm what they call a Daywalker," Jerry explained. "A good vampire, if you will."

"That means he's never taken a life," Becky explained. "Because of that, he's not a member of the 'undead', and is free to roam about during the day."

"How do you know that?" another child asked.

"We've met before," Becky said.

"Another long story?" Tommy asked.

"Very," Bruce said, "but I believe we can trust him. We'll have to."

"Hey, my shirt says, goodguys.com." Jerry said. "Can't argue with that."

"Right," Tommy said. "It's kinda cheezy, you know?"

"I couldn't agree more," Jerry said, "but it gets the point across. Now, if you kids will follow me, my friends and I'll get you to safety."

"Are there werewolves out there?" Becky asked. "I heard the witches have allies guarding the school."

"Indeed, the woods are full of them. But, my dear Becky, they are on our side. Come, kids, follow me."

The students filed out of the room and into the protective custody of the odd, but captivating, stranger. Only one child lingered behind.

"You'll need my help finding your way around," Tommy said.

"We'll make it," Becky said. "You need to go to safety."

"My sister is in the sixth grade and still in the building. I'm not leaving without her, Ma'am."

Becky started to argue, but changed her mind. Tommy looked like a boy, but the fire in his eyes proved the situation had turned him into a man. "Okay, Tommy, come on."

Bruce turned to close the door, but was surprised by a head popping around the edge.

"Hi, laddie, mind if I join your little party?"

"Hey, you're that Sean guy, who brought food yesterday," Tommy said. "I remember you."

"Yes, that's me... Sean Flannery, caterer extraordinaire, and I've come to offer me help."

"Oh my gosh," Becky said, "Sean, the leprechaun. The prankster with the dynamite hands. I'd heard you reformed."

"Yes, of course, lassie... completely cured of all my nonsense. No more setting fires, no more spreading discord, and no more pulling pranks on friends... well, maybe not that last one, but a leprechaun's got to have his fun, hasn't he?"

"I suppose," Becky agreed. "So what can you help us do? I don't think you're here to clear children out of rooms."

"Indeed not," Sean said. "I'm here to defuse your bomb."

"You can do that?"

"Aye, Lassie. Remember, I'm a bit of an explosion expert. Anyone know the way to the boiler room?"

"I do," Tommy said.

"Lead me there, laddie."

"I'm coming, too," Becky said. "Bruce can you handle the evacuation yourself?"

"Yeah. I'll grab a few of Jerry's buddies out there. I have a feeling they can get to the rooms without crawling on beams."

"Ya mean the vampires?" Sean asked. "Some say they aren't to be trusted."

"Yeah," Becky said, "and some say that about leprechauns, too, but today we'll all have to trust each other."

"Aye, lassie. That we'll have to do."



Recognized


The artwork is from a temporary book cover to help distinguish it from my other book, "Humanity Project."

General Summary of book:

Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:

Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill

Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother

Mrs. Pierson/ Witch Gelada: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal

Melba, Anastasia, and Matilda: Witch sisters of Mrs. Pierson/Gelada

Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.

Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".

Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.

Theo: Werewolf captor who is bronze colored and the nicer of the two.
Truman: Meaner and less intelligent of the two werewolf captors of the Daredevil Girl Supporters inside the school.

Jerry Crandall: Daywalker Vampire ally of Emory Settler

Gooblie: Goblin ally of Emory Settler

Akhenaten II/Akie: Ahmed's alter ego as a reanimated mummy, the son of Pharaoh Akhenaten I and Queen Nefertiti

Sean: Caterer and Leprechaun.

Sage: Sally's wise beyond her species, cat sidekick.


Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes

Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde

Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair

Billy Conner: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair

Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American

Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister

Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American. Real name is Tabitha

Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage

Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangling, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.

Bruce: Becky's little brother, the only "Daredevil Guy"

Kurt: Young and handsome Captain of the Shadow Wolves, a group of fringe werewolves who denounce the shedding of innocent blood.

Tommy: Student helping Bruce and Becky



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.