Romance Fiction posted October 23, 2016 Chapters:  ...66 67 -67- 68... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni talks to Jim.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Treinta y Cuatro, Pt Cuatro

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I do need you in my life. I can promise you'll always be a priority to me and I'll love and respect you. I can promise I'll never be responsible for your pain." Jim took her hand. "Soni, I love you and want to marry you. Will you marry me?"

Tears welled in Soni's eyes. She took her hand from Jim's, ran into the house straight into her bedroom, and slammed the door.

TODAY'S POST:
Chapter 34 Part 4

The Ending, finally! LOL

Soni lay on her bed, sobbing.

Mack and Goliath stood, one on each side of her bed, and their heads beside her. Goliath had put his paw on the bed, and Soni held it.

Tatiana knocked on the door. "Soni, can I come in?" When there was no response, she nudged the door open and sat beside Soni. With affection she rubbed Soni's back. "I know you already know you're like a daughter to me." She paused. "Want to talk about it?"

"No." Soni snapped without moving.

"I'll sit with you."

A long pause ensued. Soni turned, wiped the tears rolling down her cheeks, and said, "Jim asked me to marry him." She blew her nose. "I don't even know what to call him. Is it Jim or Jacob or something completely different?"

"Soni, you're majoring on the minors."

"How could he do this to me? Why couldn't he leave well enough alone? We had a good relationship. Now he wants to ruin everything."

"You need time alone, but I'm going to leave you with one thought. Jim loves you. It's obvious to everyone. He's stood by your side through all of this. He didn't have to stay and help fight your battle." Tatiana released a deep breath. "You won't find a better man." She closed the door on her way out.

*****

It was late the following morning when Soni appeared from her room. Alex and Tatiana silently watched her walk over to the table.

"Why are you staring at me?"

"Jackson left this morning. I guess we'll be seeing more of him. Isabella's dating him." Alex took a sip of coffee.

"That's a good thing." Soni glanced around the room. "Isabella deserves happiness."

"We have some immediate ranch business that needs taking care of this morning. Those men you met with in Laredo last month want answers."

Goliath walked over and dropped a wet, slobbery Fi at Soni's feet. "Why you giving her to me? I don't want her. Give her to Jim."

"Jim left with Jackson. Goliath and Mack circled around her and wouldn't let Jim close to her." Alex took another sip of coffee. "For some reason, they thought she needed to stay with you."

"What? Jim's gone?" Soni headed toward the door. "Why'd he leave?"

"You gave him no reason to stay." Alex stared at Soni before he ran after her. "You can't leave. I need answers. A month's up and ..."

"I need to go." Soni stopped and took a deep breath. "Yes, to the wind turbine company, but only a hundred acres. The Go-Green Company - can put magnifying window panes on the ground so the sun can heat water and create energy. Let them try it. I doubt it'll work. I told them we have droughts. Say fifty acres. The shopping center over by San Antonio is a resounding no. I promised Dad, I'd never split the ranch." She picked up Fi and walked away. "I'm leaving."

"The dogs were smarter than you. Now you have an excuse to go after him," called Alex.

*****
Soni flew the helicopter down I35 toward Laredo until she saw Jackson's dark SUV. She landed about one hundred yards in front of them, blocking both lanes.

Once the SUV stopped, Jim walked toward the helicopter, his eyes looking at the ground.

Soni met him halfway and held out Fi. "You forgot something."

At the sound of a sonic boom, Soni jumped into Jim's arms.

Holding her tightly, Jim said, "A jet broke the sound barrier. It's nothing."

"I guess I'm a little jumpy. I didn't sleep well last night." She stepped back.

"Not a problem. I'm used to coming to your aid." Jim took the small Yorkie. "I didn't forget her. Your boys refused to let me have her." His eyes met Soni's. "Is that all you wanted?"

She shook her head as tears welled in her eyes. "I need to fall asleep and know my heart will be safe."

Jim took her in his arms and kissed away her tears. "Your heart will always be safe as long as I'm around."

"I know." Soni swallowed. "My answer is yes. I'll be happy to marry you. Can Grandfather and Alex give me away?" Soni reached up and kissed him.

"I guess I'd better ask both their permissions to marry you. Think they'll give it to me?"

Soni kissed him and smiled.

Jim waved goodbye to Jackson as he and Soni held hands and walked toward the helicopter.


THE END!!!

I tried to embed George Strait singing "I Cross My Heart' but it wouldn't work. You will need to cut and paste the URL

https://youtu.be/A-Lo33Ep99I?t=3s










Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a heart in a dream catcher. I hope you enjoy the ending. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but it's what my characters wanted. Thank you for reviewing and staying with me through this novel. I will post a sort of prologue for my new novel next week. As of right now, it's untitled. My characters can't agree on the title. GREAT???
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.