General Fiction posted October 23, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Just a story loosely based on a song

I Got You Babe

by Heather Knight

The walls of the apartment were peeling. It only had one bedroom. The living room was sparsely furnished and the kitchen was grimy. Did I mind? Not in the least. I was in love.

It was our first home and I would do my best to make it better for the baby. I had already bought some flowery material to sew curtains with.

We didn't have much money, we didn't have much of anything. Just dreams. Big dreams for our future. We were going to be famous singers one day, we would travel with our child...

Our parents had disowned us. I tried to talk to Mum, but she refused to answer my calls. She said I was on a path to Satan. But not even that dampened my happiness. I had him, I had my Sonny.

I was already too big to work, but Sonny worked at a bar every night. He didn't make much money and we spent it all on essentials. Food, baby clothes, paint for the walls...

Then one day it happened. The horror my mum had threatened me with. A new waitress started working at Sonny's bar and he fell in love with her.

'I'm sorry, babe,' he said. He didn't look sorry at all.

'But you promised to love me forever.'

'I know. I never meant for this to happen.'

'What will I do if you leave me?'

'Why don't you go back to your parents'?'

I didn't know what to do. When he left, I cried for days. I could stay in the apartment for one more week, the rent had already been paid. Then I'd be homeless.

Desperation made me falter. For the first time in my life, I was clueless what to do next.

'What are we going to do?' I asked my bump.

One morning, I left the flat and walked aimlessly around the city. After a while, I saw a church and went in on impulse. I sat on a bench and thought about what to do.

'You seem to be lost in thought,' a plump nun said to me. She had a sweet, unlined face. A face you could trust.

'That's because I am.'

'Is there anything I can do to help you?'

I found myself telling her my story.

'Why don't you stay at the convent with us? Just till you find your feet.'

'Do you think I could really do that? Wouldn't the other nuns mind?'

'Of course not.'

Two days later, I arrived at the convent, carrying all my possessions in a small tattered suitcase.

Sister Maryann, the plump nun I had met at the church, showed me to my room.

'It's pretty basic, I know,' she apologized.

'It's perfect,' I told her.

For the next two months, I helped around the convent. I cooked and cleaned and was happier than I had been in a long time.

The nuns let me sing in church and I also sang while I worked.

'Do you think you'll find work as a singer once the baby is born?' Sister Maryann asked me.

'I'll try, but any kind of job will do. I cannot keep on living on charity. And I'll pay you for everything you've done for me.'

My time came and Bobby was born. He was a miniature copy of his Dad. I cried and cried as I held him in my arms.
Tears of joy and tears for the love I had lost. The love I had believed would last forever.

'Did you love him very much?' Sister Maryann asked.

I couldn't speak, so I just nodded.

Ten years have passed. Bobby has grown to be a beautiful boy. And me? I didn't get my man, but I got my dream. I'm a famous singer now. Maybe you've heard of me. My name is Cher.



 



Recognized


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.