Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 26, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Where has Cody Schroder gone?

Wings

by Brett Matthew West


Cody plopped down in the comfortable, oversized seat and stared out the little glass window pane. He'd never seen the world from the inside of a 747. The boy had never even set foot on a real jet. There were lots of things Cody had never done before. To say the least, he was excited and his abundant exuberance displayed. Soon it would crescendo, signaling the beginning of their vacation to the Bahamas.

About to experience his first airplane flight, Cody saw the tarmac a short ways off in the distance. He also observed the runway where another plane was landing. In awe, he watched it touch down. He could not believe the speed in which the landing airliner traveled as its wheels lighted down.

Then, Cody noticed the big silver wing of the 747 he was on. It shone in the bright sunlight of the hot Dallas morning. He could hear the plane's four engines roaring. Seated next to him in the middle seat, his dad smiled at the boy's contagious enthusiasm.

As their plane began taxiing down the runway, Brock Daniels casually told Cody, "Here we go."

Still focusing his look out the window, Cody's grin was ear to ear. His dad had promised him all kinds of fun adventures on this trip. In the two years Cody had lived with Brock Daniels, he'd never once been disappointed in any excursions they'd shared before.

Cody felt the massive bird lift off the ground. All they had to do was fly over the Gulf of Mexico, head east for three hours, and they'd cruise right into Nassau. Once over the water, Cody occupied most of his time playing "Borderlands 2" . It was his favorite video game.

Diligently working away in her downtown office, Mayor Beth Sorensen was interrupted by the ringing telephone. Some days it never stopped.

"Ma'am, the plane went down in unexpected heavy turbulence caused by a sudden storm. Our crews have searched the area. No survivors found," she was told.

Unable to speak, she disconnected the phone call. Why hadn't she gone with them when she had the chance instead of attending to affairs of her office in Astatula? Now she never would have the opportunity to be with them again. The thought rattled Beth to the core. It was more than she could handle.

As the dam broke, and the river of tears cascaded down her cheeks, Beth's cellphone began to ring. Once. Twice. Three times. Could it possibly be?

But, how?





Several FanStorians have been asking me what happened to Cody?

Here, in a little flash format, is the answer to that question for Cody's fans to enjoy while he is on hiatus.

(Of course he couldn't be killed off. Not FanStory's favorite little munchkin! No way.)

The airplane ride represents the explosion Cody has created with his many fans since he was born on this site.

The plane crash represents the lengthy delay that has occurred since his last episode was written and all the FanStorians who have been looking for him to reappear.

The ending represents there is much more to the Cody Schroder story still to come, including Chapter Seven of Cody's newest book, KER-BOOM! that should be ready to post any day now.

The storm represents the unexpected wildfire that my Writing Tips have caused as many, many Fanstorians keep asking me for more of them every day.

(Now, if we can just get the little monkey out of the banana trees he was blown into in the Bahamas and back home in Astatula, Cody will continue delighting all of us with his zany antics.)






This is Evan, by Lilibug6, selected to compliment my story.

So, thanks Lilibug6, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.