Humor Non-Fiction posted October 10, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Misfired texts; a pup and a juicer got strangely suggestive.

Ooooopsie!! Texting Gone Wrong

by Mary Wakeford

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

My inner voice, affectionately named Brunhilda, often pops up in my writing. She is a bit of a crank with zero filter; overly opinionated, and I often have a hard time keeping a lid on her pie hole..."Did someone just mention pie??? I looooove cherry pie, let's go...Village Inn it is...you don't need makeup, just throw on a pair of hub's sweat pants, they make you look thinner---Huuuurrrrrrry, I'm starved!!!"

See what I mean...
<> <> <>
 
Timehop is a free phone app that accesses your photo gallery, allowing one the option to review and share special moments and funny captures that date back to the moment the account was created.

My account is seven years old, which translates to a mountain of photos, screenshots and happenings of a day in the life. I consider Timehop the gift that keeps on giving.

This particular 'giving' involved a Craigslist shopping spree while texting on a split screen between a guy selling his juicer, and an old high school friend, an upcoming class reunion, and a video starring my snorting grandpup, a bulldog named Leila.

I was between jobs two years ago when our first grandchild was born. A few days following his birth, I was offered a position I had recently interviewed for. While sharing the news with my son and daughter-in-law, I was asked to consider babysitting our new love when his mommy returned to full-time work.

With my husband's support of the reduction in income nannygranny'ing would bestow, I accepted with a full heart, and celebrated with dessert. 

The following morning and less than 24 hours after accepting the new position, I called my brand new boss and resigned from it. Talk about awkward.  

Brunhilda was quick to release her snark trigger ... "There goes a better retirement, paid benefits and skinny jeans. You are going to blow up faster than a chubby puppy at a bacon bliss party!"  I hate it when the little bitch is right on the money, as well as the chubby.

Fast forward a year when 'awkward' took flight to a new level of OOOOOOPSIE. Bruni suggested I use the Urban Dictionary's definition submitted by someone who goes by viva_la_gloria on July 28, 2009:  awkward - Having your flatmate walk in on you while you are making out with yourself in the mirror, moaning and saying in a deep sexy voice,"oh baby."

Brunhilda piped in, "Remember when you used to do that in the hall bathroom behind a locked door?" 

I reminded Bruni, I was thirteen years old and had never been kissed by a boy. I considered it preparational resourcing. She snickered "Try fifteen and still never kissed." The little bitch was on a roll.

I wasn't sufficiently prepared for the weight gain and lack of caloric discipline a less active lifestyle and heavy rocking would impart on my wardrobe.

I gained nearly a half pound for each month of my grandson's life, seemingly matching his own explosive growth.  Two and half years later, I was approaching the minimum weight requirement for a Cardinal's linebacker.  

Who knew the reduced stress of earning a living, and an accessible kitchen affording 'round the clock' nibbling could be so expansive. Factor in a marked nosedive of slowed metabolism aging brings to the table, and I find myself heading toward obesity on a fast train to short, fat and jolly.  Brunhilda hopes the train ride comes with a phenomenal dessert tray.

Following my mom's death in 2002, I saved a denim MooMoo of hers, along with a few other favorite garments she owned for sentimental reasons. There have been a few times 'sentimental' made it out of the closet and onto MarMar's person.

One evening as I prepared to take my overweight mastiff on a walk, my husband refused to join us 'fatties' unless I changed out of "old moo." That was the moment I considered it might be time to either start juicing, or get fitted for a muzzle like the one my rescued mastiff sported following two attempts at eating our other dog three weeks after I rescued her. Golden Doodle Noodle casserole was removed from Princess's menu when the muzzle rule was enforced.

I was in dire need of a juicer or a muzzle. A juicer would eliminate scaring the grandbaby with Hanni-Granny-Lector nightmares.

A refreshing glass of alfalfa/carrot/kale/celery juice instead of a chocolate chip/oatmeal/sugar cookie -- who's in? Brunhilda mimicked a cricket chirping in my left ear, before sharing "When have you ever eaten 'A' cookie??" The little bitch had 'A' point.

My 'texting for trouble' incident coincided with our daughter and son-in-law adding a puppy to their family; a cute little bulldog named Leila. You guessed it, Leila arrived early each morning just ahead of the real grandbaby for puppy daycare. In retrospect, I should have read The Art of the Deal before agreeing to half eaten couches, chewed infant toys, destroyed baseboard molding and uncontained puppy shit to compliment the somewhat contained baby shit.

One morning following a "This fooooooking scale lies like a bitch" breakdown, I declared power juicing the answer to my excessive 'sweeting' disorder.

Hesitant to fully commit to liquid food in consideration of my income reduction, I didn't want to pour a lot of dough into my purchase, in case juicing was a passing fluke. I tend to not stick with diets when Bruni starts bitching about craving sweets and carbs, and end up succumbing just to shut her up.  Once the flood gates are so much as cracked, I tend to go off the rails.

Brunhilda is high maintenance when it comes to chocolate, carbs and crunch. She insists our blood type is 0+sugardough with a trace of butter. The little snot just suggested we run to the store and pick up a crate of Oreo Thins to hasten the end of this story--I'm apparently taking too long.

Procurement for a reasonable juicer on Craig's List commenced as the baby napped and the bully snorted. The snorting was so cute, it netted a ten second video.

The ten second video ended up causing me what could have been a problematic, tricky-dicky, thorny situation. Brunhilda suggested if the 'T' was removed from thorny and Donald Trump was delivering the juicer, I might have had a "situation" that could not have been contained in any of Hillary's emails, top secret or otherwise.

Enter the Craigslist ad:

FOR SALE:  
Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Express
 Hardly Used  - $45
 Text to Allen:  602.934.XXXX


My curiosity peaked. I remembered Jack LaLanne from childhood; he was an exercise guru from the 1960's who pushed my mom and her coffee clutch friends to achieve their jumping jack quota each morning.

I watched, and sometimes joined my mom as she bounced and jumped in front of our 13" black and white television between sips of steaming coffee. Decades later, Jack was featured on a news program where at the ungodly age of geriatric, the man was still remarkably fit as a fiddle, swimming the frigid, shark infested waters surrounding Alcatraz while harnessed and pulling seventy boats laden with weights and fat people to shore. Each boat represented a year of his life.

Craigslist and Jack had my attention as I stared at a juicer branding his name for sale and within my budget of minimal.

I fantasized that with juicing, I could get Jack-fit in a week.  I was 'all in'.

To be clear, my protocol would not involve swimming in frigid waters among hungry large angry-eyed fish with pointy teeth.

I'd be happy fitting into my size 8's, and successfully execute fifteen jumping jacks without wetting myself, or dislocating a knee on the landing. I've never been one who felt the need to 'over do' with physical exertion and sweat.

Bruni sniped, "You're 'all in' until that first cookie magically appears, or date night at Costco's 'Sample Saturday.'  I wanted so badly to shove a carrot cookie down Brunhilda's throat to shut the little snot up.

ME: Is your juicer still available?
ALLEN: Yes.
ME: It works well?
ALLEN: Yes. Rarely used. Like brand new. (Brunhilda suspected Allen had a cookie imbibement problem, too)
BRUNI:  We'll give you $15.00 for it.
ME:  Will you take $40.00? (guess who just snickered "You suck at bartering").
ALLEN: Yes. What time do you want to come and get it?  
ALLEN:  Or I can bring it to you...I will be running errands all day. Where do you live?
ME: (over Bruni screaming "Don't give him our address, he could be a Ted Bundy serial killer!!") I live at 75th & Greenway. I'm babysitting grandbabies (plural indicates a force not to be reckoned with) until 4:00pm and I'm without a carseat. Perhaps we can meet somewhere in between, or I can head your direction after 4pm.
ALLEN:  I have no problem bringing it to you if you wish. I'm out already and have it with me. Are you at Avenue or Street?
ME:  Avenue
ALLEN:  Address?

About the time I was failing at the art of barter and considering the consequences that could arise with doling out my home address to a stranger, I received a text from a high school friend about our upcoming reunion, asking if I had committed to going, and if I was successful in persuading another mutual friend of ours to attend. 

Unfortunately, my fancy-pants phone has more horsepower and options than a Boeing 747. As I switched between the pulsing multiple screens, swipe, swipe, swipe, I tried to keep abreast of rapid fire juicer delivering, and rapid fire reunioning.  I was bound to fail under that kind of pressure.

(ME1 is my dialogue with ALLEN the juice guy; ME2 is my dialogue with my friend from high school; GD)

ME2:  "Hi, yes, bought tickets for both Roger and I, and no on getting 'Myra' to go...Looking forward to catching up and seeing everyone after all these years..."
(SWIPE)
 
ME1:  "Sorry, my address is XXXXXX X XXXXXX XXXX.  I'm between XXXXX and XXXXXXXXXXX cross streets." (Brunhilda..."I'm fooooooking out of here, you just gave a potential killer or rapist our address!!!!")

ALLEN: 
"Okay, I'm on my way."

Then, with my intent to share the ten second video of my adorable snoring bulldog grandpuppy with my high school friend, I choked.
(SWIPE FAIL)
ME1: "Would you like me to make your Thursday better?"

While in the process of attaching the video and squinting without the aid of my dollar store cheater's, Brunhilda screamed, "You fooooooking idiot, you just sent that Thursday betterment suggestion to Allen the Juice LaLanne!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Fat busting just got real!!"  

It would seem I lost my perfect 20/20 vision along with my metabolism back in 2011.

OH.MY.GAWD.  I cringed as I considered Allen might think he's getting a "perk" for his delivery service extraordinare.  Brunhilda fainted.
~§~
 
Realizing my mistake, I immediately followed it up with a "Oooooooops, I'm sorry, that was not meant for you" hoping to squash any hope the misfire might have conjured up with Allen the juice guy of an afternoon delight with an overweight chubby grandmother with poor vision.

Then I shared my faux pas with line #2, attaching the puppy snorting video.

 
ME2:  "Oh Lord, I just sent a message intended for you to a guy I just bought a juicer from on Craigslist."
GD:  "So you made a new friend."
ME2: "No. Let's just hope he's not expecting a side of afternoon delight with the $40 juicer + delivery service." 
GD:  "Were you talking about those Haribo Sugarless Gummy Bears again?"
ME2: "No. I asked him if he'd like me to make his Thursday better? Sh*t!  -- I can't stop laughing as I imagine his expression on the receiving end of that text."
GD: "I'll bet he shows up in the next ten minutes. Who drives around with a juicer in their car anyway? He's ready in case housewives want to party." 
ME2: "I don't know how I get myself into these weird situations."
GD:  "God given talent."
ME2:  "My granddog snorting video was the intent of making your Thursday better."
GD:  "Oh sure, back peddling now and using me and the dog as an alibi. Have you no shame?"  
ME2: "I make my weird light shine bright so the other weirdos know where to find me. Fancy electronics get me in trouble. I need a single screen display. Maybe Allen the juice guy is a weirdo too."
GD: "Allen is a player. He'll show up in a Camaro wearing a karate jacket, playing a cassette of Volare asking, "Where do I plug in the juicer, I'm making Pina Coladas."
SWIPE
Allen:  "I'm apparently lost...I'm at ...."
ME1:  "Okay, you're close--go back to XXX and make a left, then a right, third house on the left. I will meet you at the curb with cash."  

I felt the curbside handoff would nip in the bud any misguided perception Allen might have been brewing while manning his unimpressive TomTom GPS.  

Brunhilda thought my reply sounded like code for a drug deal, or a pimp marketing a prostitute fire sale. She suggested I end the text with a reference to me packing heat. 

I sniped I'd been packing heat since menopause arrived on a jet fueled rocket in 2011. That left Brunhilda speechless. She knew too well she couldn't argue with me on that fact.
SWIPE
ME2:  Allen is lost.  Story of my life.
GD: Rule #1, never keep a woman waiting for her blender. Does Roger find it odd that your garage is full of blenders?
ME2:  LOL, juicer -- it's a juicer!
 
A few minutes later...following payoff and curb delivery of Jack LaLanne's magic appliance, I returned to my phone to close out the text with my high school buddy:
 
ME2: "Allen delivered--MarMar did not. No Camaro, but rather a beat up Honda."
GD:  "Green? Stalls when you turn left?  8-track player? Satin Alabama 1986 concert jacket? Crystal Gayle tee shirt?  Weekend job at Swap-a-rama?"
ME2:  "Are you making fun of my '74 Plymouth Duster again?"  
GD:  "What are you going to juice?"
ME2: "Kale and Haribo Sugarless gummy bears."
GD: "God help us. I'm looking forward to discussing the pitfalls of juicing while texting when I see Roger Saturday night..."
<><><>

You would be correct to surmise the topic of discussion at the reunion that weekend. Brunhilda delighted in the lectures I received from a few of my former classmates as to the dangers of Craigslist procurements.

As to my reduction in poundage...I juiced strong for about three weeks and didn't lose an ounce.

The same morning my husband told me my kale was looking a little "skanky" (his word, not mine), my CraigslistJack LaLanne juicer decided to spew green juice all over me and the counter before shorting out.

I took that as a sign, even Jack LaLanne himself couldn't save me and Bruni from our sweet dependance problem. Bruni's cookie diet is back in full swing.



Recognized


In the featured photo; Allen owns the light grey text. I own the dark grey.




Jack LaLanne video courtesy of Google search.





The Haribo gummy bear reference came about from a posting I had recently shared on Facebook. If you have never read the Amazon reviews on the innocent, colorful little sugar-free gummy bears, they are quite descriptive and some of the most hilarious reads you will ever encounter. I advise you not to read while drinking any liquid, as you will likely snort it from every orifice on your face. Proceed with caution...but don't say you weren't warned!

Haribo Sugarless Gummy Bear reviews on Amazon; link compliments of Google and Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ref=nav_logo


As always, I thank you for reading my work. If you would like to make my Monday even better, you can leave a review!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mary Wakeford All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mary Wakeford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.