Fantasy Science Fiction posted September 30, 2016 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Victor and Emily make plans: Tina heads for help.

A chapter in the book The Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hil

The Night Deepens

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Tina Alice, Daredevil Supporter, escaped the school only to meet a werewolf, Kurt, who helped her to town. The twins, Billy and Belle, face challenges with the bad werewolves guarding them.
Summary:

Chapter before last, Tina Alice met up with a kinder sort of werewolf who helped her find her way to town.

Last chapter, two Daredevil Supporters, Billy and Belle, dealt with their captivity by choosing to look for opportunities where they presented themselves.

The new chapter shifts back to the auditorium where Coach Brewer and Nancy's mother Emily are
imprisoned.

Please read on:

Coach Brewer stood at the window of the sound booth looking out at the other captives. The lights were dim, but he could see more than he wanted through the sickening green glow permeating the building.

He took a deep tense breath and let it out slowly. "How did all this happen?"

Emily Jordan reached out a mother's hand and touched his arm. Sometimes life's tide turns between the space of two breaths, and there's nothing we can do. One evening my husband was heading home from work. Breathe in... he's alive, and our lives are full. Breathe out... a drunk driver strikes and kills him. Our whole world alters."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Our world changed-- it didn't stop, and it won't now."

"But neither will it be the same."

"No."

"I have a dog at home named Hornet. He's the funniest thing in the world. At night he lies on his back, grabs the blanket in his mouth, and then rolls up like a burrito."

"Sounds adorable."

"Yes, Ma'am, but he's alone tonight."

"I'm sure he's confused at your absence, but that's not what's worrying you."

Victor turned and looked Emily straight in her eyes. I'm not afraid to die, if that's what you think. I just don't want the people I care about getting hurt, and I can't stand sitting in this room helpless while they do."

"You didn't put them in danger."

"No, but I'm a man. I should be there defending those I care about."

"Yes, and I'm a mother. Do you think I'm not sick with worry?"

"You're right. I guess I'm just frustrated. Of course your concern is real, but what sort of man must Nancy think of me?"

"The kind that doesn't give up."

Victor shrugged and looked back out the window. His handsome face was pensive, his eyes intense. For a moment he seemed frozen in that position, as though willing himself outside the booth. He sighed again.

Suddenly and completely, his demeanor changed. Body alert, he tapped on the glass and pointed.

"Emily, look," he said. "Nancy and Bruce are cutting each other loose."

Emily rushed over just in time to see severed ropes fall away, and Nancy scooting toward the edge of the stage.

Nancy dropped a pocket knife to Sally, who cut herself loose with a few twists and turns of her lithe body. She then crept along the shadows to the other Daredevil Girls and cut them loose as well.

"If that isn't the craziest thing I've ever seen," Victor said. "Where'd she learn that skill?"

"I have no idea. I never did, but the Daredevil Girls always found strength and talent whenever they needed it. I expect you're much the same."

"Why do you say that?"

"I see the same look in your eyes I've often seen in Nancy's. Victor, I believe you've got a plan."

"Do I?"

"Mmm-hmm."

Smiling, Victor grabbed a pad of paper and pencil. For about five minutes, he scribbled and sketched until he finally stepped back and nodded approval. "Let's see what you think of this."

"Interesting," Emily said. "Do you think it might work?"

"I think it'll save the day, and get me home to Hornet."

Victor spread the paper back out on the table, his eyes alight with confidence. "Now, let's go over the details."

The two conspirators put their heads together, whispering, gasping, sighing, and muttering, until they each had the plan down. Satisfied they were doing all they could, they went to sleep. The morning would bring with it whatever fortunes it held, and they, in their own way, would be ready.

While they slept, the drama of the night continued...

*****

Tina watched Kurt slip into the woods, a silent guardian of the night. If only she could convince him of his real duty... but that wasn't her worry now. She had to get hold of Emory Settler.

Steeling her nerves, she walked into Bob's Quick and Go and marched up to the counter. She knew she looked about ten, but had to act twenty. Confidence would have to overcome what youthful appearance hampered.

"Where's Bob?" she asked.

"He's not here. Can I help you?"

"Yes, Sir, do you have a phone I can borrow?"

"Yeah, but what're you doing out this late?"

"I've just escaped from a really strange attack at the Middle School. I'm trying to make a call to a man who can help."

"What do you mean, 'strange attack'?"

"It's a long story, but the whole school is being held hostage."

"That's terrible. I'll call for help." The man picked up a cell phone, his fingers hovering over the buttons.

"The police are already there," Tina said, "but the officer I need to talk to is a special units guy."

"Why don't the cops call him themselves?"

"They don't think they need help, but I do. There are unusual things going on inside they aren't aware of."

"Well, maybe you need to let the grown-ups handle it, young lady." He opened a door behind the counter and walked toward her.

"I would love to, but the people I talked to didn't believe me. The officer I want to call is more used to strange circumstances." She backed away from the approaching man. Apparently he didn't believe her, either.

"Maybe I need to call the police myself and let them pick you up. If you're one of the hostages, they might need you back at the school. If not, you could be a runaway making up one crazy lie."

"Sir, I assure you I'm no runaway and that everything I'm telling you is the truth. However, if it'll make you feel better, I'll call my parents to come and get me."

"Okay, here's the phone. We'll see who comes for you."

"Do you have to stand so close?"

"Yes."

Tina took the phone from his hand, trying to be as patient as she could. She dialed her home number under his watchful eye. There was a ring, another, another, and then finally an answer.

"Hello?"

"Andy, it's Tina. Put Mama on the phone."

"I can't, she's not here."

"Where is she?"

"Looking for you. She and Dad got a call earlier saying ya'll were being held hostage at school. They told me to stay here by the phone, but I fell asleep on the couch. That was hours ago, didn't you see them?"

"No. I just escaped, and all I saw were police cars."

"Well, they're there."

"Please call Mama's cell phone and ask her to come pick me up at Bob's Quick and Go."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Mom left her phone here. She was freaking out."

"What about Dad's?"

"It isn't turned on. I tried to call him when I noticed Mom left hers here. I guess they aren't thinking too clearly."

"Okay, then you come get me."

"Me?"

"Yes. I can't stay here, and I'm not walking back to the school."

"How am I supposed to get there?"

"Take Mama's car."

"You know I can't drive. I'm only 14."

"You drive with Dad all the time."

"Yeah, with a Learner's Permit."

"Okay, then use the four wheeler, and go across field. You don't need a driver's licence for that."

"You're kidding, right?"

"No, Andy. You've driven it to the store before."

"Not in the dark."

"Don't be such a wuss."

"Whatever... Okay, wait for me outside."

Tina disconnected and handed the phone back to the teller. "Are you happy now? I'm meeting my brother outside."

"You're not going anywhere." The man grabbed Tina by the arm and jerked her toward him. "I don't know who you talked to on the phone, but clearly it wasn't one of your parents. You're staying with me until the police get here."

"I don't think so."

Tina aimed a foot at the guy's shin and released all her pent up frustration onto his yielding flesh. At the same instant, she twisted her wrist and jerked it upward, effectively breaking his grip. She didn't even look back as she popped open the door and dashed for home.




Recognized


A special thanks goes out to GaliaG for the artwork, "On the deck".


General Summary of book:

Nancy Jordan is a teacher in an ordinary small town middle school. She is living a safe, uncomplicated life when suddenly her past comes back to haunt her--literally. Her students have somehow found out that she was once a member of the world famous, Daredevil Girls from Bunker Hill, a group of young people who fought evil supernatural beings in the early 1980's.

She is asked by her principal to share stories from her youth once a month in an assembly. Reluctantly she agrees. In the first assembly, set auspiciously on Halloween, she is joined by the former members of the Daredevil Girls, who are now grown and have lives of their own. With their help, she retells two of their adventures. After the last story is told, Nancy finds that her past has become a part of her present---will she be forced to fight again?

Characters:

Nancy Jordan: Now a teacher, once the leader of the Daredevil Girls From Bunker Hill

Emily Jordan: Nancy's mother

Mrs. Pierson/ Witch Gelada: Nancy's boss and Miltonville Middle School Principal

Melba, Anastasia, and Matilda: Witch sisters of Mrs. Pierson/Gelada

Victor Brewer: Coach teaching across the hall from Nancy, perhaps a romantic interest.

Sean: Caterer and old acquaintance. Also known as the "Prankster".

Mildred: Witch and head of an organization of evil creatures. Locked up, for now, in a jail for supernatural beings.

Akhenaten II/Akie: Ahmed's alter ego as a reanimated mummy, the son of Pharaoh Akhenaten I and Queen Nefertiti

Sage: Sally's wise beyond her species, cat sidekick.

Daredevil Girl Supporters: Also students in Nancy's classes

Tina Alice: Leader of the supporters, tiny in stature, student all teachers love, very level headed. Blonde

Belle Conner: Girl twin who is larger than most kids in her grade and very outgoing. Dark hair

Billy Conner: Male twin who is a football player, large, strong, outgoing and plagued by a need for "fairness." Dark hair

Rasha: Athletic, smart, bouncy, African American

Julia: Small, energetic, speaks before she thinks sometimes, Hispanic

Sally Jordan: Nancy's little sister

Tabby: Daredevil Girl member-fast, smart, popular, African American. Real name is Tabitha

Elizabeth: Daredevil Girl member-strong willed, short, chubby, Cherokee heritage

Becky: Daredevil Girl member-Tall, gangling, awkward, slow in school, smart in ways of nature and the woods.

Bruce: Becky's little brother, the only "Daredevil Guy"

Kurt: Young and handsome Captain of the Shadow Wolves, a group of fringe werewolves who denounce the shedding of innocent blood.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.