Romance Fiction posted September 25, 2016 Chapters:  ...62 62 -63- 63... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Miguel is taken away.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Treinta y Tres, Part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Maybe a little." Again, Kuruk hesitated. "She's an only child. So she might be a little spoiled." Kuruk waited for Jim to respond' When he didn't, he continued, "Tatiana was the closest person she had to a mother. My wife, God rest her soul, and Tatiana were the only female influences she had. Otherwise she was surrounded by men."

"You're trying to say she can work alongside the men better than she can females, and is more comfortable in jeans and boots than a dress and heels?" Kuruk nodded, and then Jim continued, "Kuruk, it's not like you to beat around the bush. What are you trying to say?"

Kuruk stood. "What are your intentions for my granddaughter?"


TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
PART 3

"Well." Jim's face turned pale. A better question would be how does she feel about me? He stood, walked around the cabin, and sipped his coffee. "I wonder how long Sanchez is going to sleep?"

"Now who's beating around the bush?"

Both men turned toward the door when they heard a helicopter coming in for a landing.

Kuruk stood. "I guess you're safe for now. We'll continue this discussion at a later date."

"Deal." Jim opened the door, welcomed, and introduced two fellow agents.

After Jim handed the older agent the cigarette butt he'd collected, Pete studied Sanchez. "Is he all right?"

"Sure, he's just tired." Jim poked Miguel's arm. "Wake up."

Miguel opened his eyes. "It's too early to be morning." He shut his eyes.

Pete eyed Jim. "What's he on?"

Kuruk stepped forward. "I gave him some pain medicine. I guess it put him to sleep."

"Why'd he need pain medicine?"

"Somehow he got himself shot in the leg." Jim shrugged his shoulders.

"Jim, do I even want to ask?" Pete muttered under his breath, "Ex-marines."

Kuruk stepped beside Jim and motioned to the tape recorder. Jim nodded, took it, and offered it to Pete. "We recorded our interrogation. I know we can't use it in court, but it helps make the case. It also proves no ill-treatment of the prisoner."

"In other words, no water-boarding. I can see you're proud of yourself." Pete's eyes met Jim's before he closely examined the prisoner.

"You can tell by looking at him, I never laid a hand on him."

"His right eye's bruised." Pete pointed to it.

"Kuruk, did you witness me laying a hand on Sanchez?"

"I never saw Jim do anything physical to this man. He did ask numerous questions. Is that violating his rights?" asked Kuruk. "Would you like me to take a polygraph about that?"

"It won't be necessary." Pete glanced at his younger partner. "Help me get him to the helicopter. It looks like he can't walk. You sure he's only tired?"

The two men grabbed Miguel under his arms.

"He's like a sack of potatoes. He's drugged."

"Only pain medication for his wound. He begged for it." Kuruk watched the men drag the prisoner toward the door.

"Did you see how Sanchez got shot?" Pete hesitated in front of Kuruk and waited for an answer.

"No, sir. I did not. I told you. I saw nothing happen to this man."

Pete bent and examined the wound. "Jim, it's a perfectly located shot so it hurts like hell, but causes no permanent damage. There are only a few people I know who can do that." He took a second look at the wound. "Especially with a rifle and you're one of them."

Jim and Kuruk watched the two agents load a drugged Miguel onto the helicopter and take off.

Kuruk glanced at Jim. "How much trouble are you going to be in over this?"

"Not much. You just witnessed the majority of it. Pete's a stickler for the rules." Jim glanced around the cabin and noticed the bullet he shot stuck in the wall. He removed his knife and pried it from the wall. "I guess I better take this with me."

"You might want to lose it on the way back to the ranch." Kuruk walked out the door, but stopped and turned. "In case you're wondering, the tea won't show up on a blood test. It's only a root."

Jim raised his thumb. "Good. I'll meet you at the house."

Jim waited for Kuruk to mount his horse before he headed toward the helicopter. "What are my intentions for that hard-headed, spoiled, beautiful woman?"






Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image a heart shaped dream catcher.
Again, I changed things as I posted. I can't seem to get it the way I want it; no matter how many times I edit.
My final chapter is coming up next. I think there are four parts to it. I promise I am almost finished.
I had a review last week back to the age old question about whether this is a western, a mystery, suspense, or a romance. I give up. I have no clue what it is. LOL
I want to thank all of you for sticking with me. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.