Horror and Thriller Fiction posted July 28, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The end of the world

Mankind's Lament

by Brett Matthew West

STAR DATE: August 1, 2016

"Here I sit all broken hearted. Tried to s ---- but only farted."

No, I better not start this story with that age old adage.

Too many people may take exception to my dry sense of humor. Who am I kidding? I'm the very last human being still breathing air. My name is Sam Hill.

Allow me to ask you this simple question although you are dead and will not hear it, "Can you even begin to wrap your mind around that concept? To know when you expire so does your species? That's an awfully big responsibility to have to live up to!"

It didn't have to be this way. Did it? But since the dawn of time immemorial mankind has been hell-bent on destroying himself. Well, the bi-pedal monster finely achieved his destiny.

The human experiment could not leave not well enough alone. Could he? No, in all his shining glory mankind had to obliterate the third rock from the sun.

The first of the nukes exploded in Iraq. Russia, China, and the Good Ole US of A then joined the festivities. All with the push of a few measly buttons. Up on high the powers by. A number that was so small. Fortunately, I blasted off in Apollo XXIX just before the final chaos started.

Now I sit here on the lunar surface of the moon until my last oxygen source terminates. Then I join the rest of my species in Nevermoreland. And, that won't be long.

So I just ponder what might have been and stare out into the black primordial soup contemplating. I suppose the worst of the trouble erupted when ISIS successfully conquered Europe and the Middle East. Their doctrine of hate rampantly spread across lands they did not annihilate.

The greed of worldwide power exemplified with each intense act of terror perpetrated by the terrorists. Was the human condition so overwhelmed with this bitter seed no one saw the threat before it spread like cancer?

The political machinery of the world's superpowers just could not agree on anything. Not even how to stop the holocaust ISIS established on their path to dominance.

Did greed, ideologies and one-sided doctrines contribute to the downfall of mankind? Think about it. Didn't they always play major roles in the hatred spewed by such dictators, regimes, and other assorted leaders who craved power and control throughout mankind's historical account? What was such a divisive force mankind could not find harmony?

And, not only with himself, but with the many wonders of nature he was charged to caretake when from dust he arose? All mankind ever did to his fellow creatures was poach them to extinction, pollute their natural environments, and decimate their very existence. To what ill-begotten gain?

Crime in the streets, racial wars, and utter lawlessness ran out of control from one corner of the globe to another. I was never so glad to leave the Earth as when my spaceship exited the stratosphere. If only I possessed a source for food, water, and breathable air I know I could survive here on the moon. But, these were the very things mankind delighted in destroying. Weren't they?

Nothing good can ever come out of mankind's last mission to the moon. His long term goals to reach Mars, nearby asteroids, and other deep space locations show his folly. They are as long gone as those that sought them.

With man's destructive nature would these journeys have accomplished any good? That is one trait never inherent in mankind. Or would these intergalactic destinations only become more places for mankind to decimate until he devoured the entire galaxy?

On second thought, with my oxygen supply rapidly dwindling what difference does it make how I end mankind's saga? No one's ever going to hear one single word I say. So, I may as well scream them at the top of my lungs. There are no more ears for them to ever fall on again.

(Cough! Cough!)

My oxygen levels are about dissipitated. Soon, I too will join my extinguished species. It's been one hell of a ride mankind!

Too bad you blew it!

Drawing my final breath, as well as the last one any human being will ever experience again, I repeat at the top of my lungs:

"Here I sit all broken har..." (Intended to convey Sam Hill died before finishing his comment)




Do not ask me where my muse came up with this one today. He has been in one hell of a mood lately.











Supernovae, by GreatDogPhotos, chosen to compliment my tale.

So, thanks GreatDogPhotos, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.