General Script posted June 26, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Straight Talk

Public Schools - who should pay?

by lancellot

Characters:

Maxwell Hampton: Show host, former Whitehouse fiscal advisor. Lives in Chicago Illinois
Jefferson Walton: Vice President of the Chicago Teachers Union.
Thomas Smart: Illinois State Representative, Chairman of the tax and budgetary committee, member of the Illinois education committee and the fair housing committee.
 
Setting: NBC Studio in downtown Chicago. The show is being broadcasted in front of a live studio audience at 1 pm on Sunday May 1, 2016. The three are seated behind a mahogany table, with the host on the right and the guests on the left.

The Camera pans on Maxwell, providing a close up of his face.

Max: And we’re back. I want to maximize our short time by jumping straight into the thick of things. (Faces Jefferson) Mr. Walton, as clearly as you can, tell us exactly what the Teacher’s Union wants to achieve with this strike threat.

The Camera pulls out to encompass the group.

Jefferson: The Teachers of the Chicago Public Schools system are dedicated to the education and wellbeing of the children. We work tirelessly to provide for the children; who are our future. It is for them that we struggle, sacrifice, and protest for better inner city school conditions, that will lead to the bright futures… that are their right. We know that… um… the current way Chicago public schools are financed is unfair… um, disproportionate, and devastating to those who are most vulnerable.

Max: Well, yeah, but what do you want? How are these unfair and disproportionate inner city school finances supposed to be solved?

Thomas: Here it comes.

Jefferson: We propose implementing a progressive income tax on those who can best afford a modest incremental tax increase for the benefit of our most needy.

Thomas: So, you want go away from schools being funded by our property taxes and just implement a statewide progressive income tax instead the current flat tax. Hmm, I guess that isn’t all that bad of an idea. I’m sure we can come to a compromise on the minimum and maximum rates so we…

Jefferson shakes his head and raises a finger in the air.

Jefferson: You misunderstand me. I’m not proposing we eliminate property taxes as a source of school funding. We at the CTU are proposing a progressive income tax in addition to the current property tax formula.

Max: Two taxes?

Jefferson: Yes, the current property tax formula favors those communities where the median home values are high. In the inner city, the poorer communities to be exact, home values are low and the tax revenue from them is equally low. A new tax on the wealthier communities, where the revenue is routed to the poorer school districts, is what is needed to make up the financial difference.

Thomas: That’s insane. You want the people in the suburbs to not only pay their own high property taxes to keeping funding their schools, but you want them pay even more taxes to fund the inner city schools too. How are they supposed to afford that?

Jefferson: We recognize that this may be an extra burden to some, but if they reduce the funding they give to their well-off schools, then they could afford to pay the extra taxes to increase funding to the Chicago public schools.

Jefferson raises both his hands, with palms facing down.

Jefferson (cont.): We believe in time both school system will achieve a balance in funding.

Thomas: With the families in the burbs essentially paying for their kids and your inner city kids.

Jefferson: Oh, I don’t have any children, but yes, they will finally pay their fair-share, and the funding disproportionality will be gone. Every child, regardless of community status, will have the same opportunity and the same chances to succeed.

Max and Thomas turn and look at each other.

Thomas: Your plan to achieve equality is by bringing the finances of suburban schools down?

Jefferson: Slightly, but their sacrifice will raise the inner city school districts up. Better funded schools will yield better results.

Max: I don’t mean to interrupt you, Jefferson, but I have a question.  What happens if the performances of the inner city school districts, which have historically underperformed compared to their suburban counterparts, do not significantly improve?

Jefferson: Well, then clearly our plan was off.

Thomas: You think.

Jefferson: And then we’ll increase the taxes (raises a finger) because clearly, more revenue is needed to offset the years of neglect.

Thomas: Clearly. (Shakes his head) I know I’m going to regret asking this, but… years of neglect by whom?

Jefferson: Well, I don’t want to get racial, but by those who neglected their moral obligations by fleeing to the suburbs and leaving the inner city without financial resources, jobs, and opportunities.

Thomas: Okay, this is getting ridiculous; poor schools are caused by much more than just money and you know it. But that's too controversial to talk about, isn't it?

Jefferson waves his hand dismissively at Thomas

Jefferson: Some (looks at Thomas) may not want to admit it, but white flight has ruined cities and the lives of minorities still trapped there. Look at Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis, Memphis, Atlanta, and yes, it is happening here in Chicago. Those with wealth, education, and resources leave, and the cities fall into crime and despair. This leaves the remaining people with a sense of abandonment and hopelessness.

Thomas: That’s insane. People are responsible for the safety and well-being of their families, not the neighbors who fail in their own lives. Only a fool stays in a sinking ship. Parents have the right… no… the responsibility to take their families to safety and security. They shouldn’t be punished for doing everything right, while some others did everything wrong.

Jefferson: The strong have a moral responsibility to care for the weak. The rich have the same for the poor, as the able for the disabled. I will never turn my back on that responsibility, and I will do everything in my power to see that people (points his finger) like you accept your responsibility too; by choice or force.

Thomas: I am not a slave to anyone, no matter their color, history, or circumstances.

Jefferson: No man is an island. We are all part of the whole, and one day the selfish will be made to give their fair-share.

Thomas jumps out of seat and Jefferson follows. Both men face each other with hands balled into fists.

Maxwell stands and raises his hands for calm.

Max: Gentlemen please. Let’s just relax a moment. (Turns to the camera) I think this is a good time for a commercial break. Straight Talk will be back after this.

Fade to Black
 



30 Min. or Less Play contest entry


https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160331/downtown/why-are-chicago-teachers-striking-friday-5-reasons
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.