Romance Fiction posted May 29, 2016 Chapters:  ...96 97 -98- 99... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Are Jim and Soni being followed?

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Veintiocho, (28) Part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Jim parked in front of a small diner. "It doesn't look too good from the outside, but it's clean and the food's great." He opened the door for Soni. After she entered, he watched outside for a few moments.

"Is something wrong?"

"I'm sure it's nothing, probably my over-active imagination." He motioned to a table. "Let's sit here.

"Like my feelings on the way home this last time?" Soni's cheeks blushed pink.

"Maybe something like that." Jim typed on his phone.

"Who you texting?"


TODAY'S POST

Part 3

When Jim ignored her question, Soni studied him. "I've come to know you pretty well over these past few weeks. Usually you keep your emotions well hidden, but it's obvious something's bothering you. What is it?"

Jim pointed. "See that dark blue SUV? I swear it's the same one that followed Kuruk and me into town. We picked it up about Ol' Grizzy."

"There's not an on-ramp anywhere in that area."

"Correct. It was waiting alongside the road. That's what was so obvious. I'm betting if we turned right instead of left from your driveway there would've been one waiting there too."

They both were quiet while a waitress took their order. After she left, the silence lingered until Jim stood.

Soni reached for his hand. "I don't know what you're thinking, but I'm pretty sure you need to rethink it."

Jim glanced at their locked hands and then out the window. "I'm impressed with your concern, but I think I'll be okay in the bathroom."

"Smarty pants." Soni heard his laughter as he walked toward the facilities. Staring out the window, she studied the SUV. I wonder who's waiting for us, and what they want?

After Jim returned, Soni paused before she relayed the information she'd learned from Alex. When she finished, she asked, "Do you think a member of the Martinez-Vega family could be sitting in that SUV?"

The waitress placed their food on the table. After she left, Jim answered, "Normally, I'd say you're imagining things, but with everything that's happened, anything could be possible."

Soni licked her lips. "These cheeseburgers are really good." After she took another bite and chewed, she said, "You know a good cheeseburger when you taste it and you are a fairly decent shot. I guess I'll keep you around a little while longer." Soni wiped her mouth with the napkin. "I don't understand why my family kept me in the dark all these years."

Jim motioned for the waitress and ordered a cheeseburger to go before he addressed what Soni said. "It's my guess they thought it would all blow over and hoped to protect you."

While waiting for the waitress to bring the second cheeseburger, Soni shook her head. "I don't need protecting." She paused. "I can't believe you ordered a second burger. When do you plan on eating it? I'm so stuffed I can't eat another bite, and I couldn't finish my fries."

"I might get hungry shopping." He accepted the to-go-sack from the waitress and paid. Without waiting for change he said, "Ready? Let's go."

As Jim opened the passenger door for Soni, she hesitated. "Did you hear that?" She started to point, but stopped herself. "That SUV's engine started. They're following us. Why?"

"More importantly, are they dangerous?" Jim scanned the inside of Soni's SUV. "Did you restock ammunition after our gunfight at the over-turned semi?"

"When have I had time? It's been one disaster after another." She paused and took two deep breaths and blew them out. "I'm going shopping to get supplies for Isabella and Emanuel. Nothing's going to stop me from that task. Let's go to the mall."

"I hope you're right." Jim walked around their vehicle and got behind the steering wheel. "To the mall."

*****
Jim hunted for the closest parking spot. "I don't want us exposed any more than necessary. They can't make a move with other people around."

The dark blue SUV parked two rows away from them, but within sight.

"How do you know they want to do anything? Maybe they just want to observe us." Soni thought for a minute. "Maybe they're not after me, but you. After all, you were shot leaving my home. Remember?"

"You could be right."

Soni giggled. "Maybe it's an old girlfriend who's jealous you've been spending so much time with me."

"Now, you're being ridiculous. Let's get this over with and back to the hospital." Jim got out of their vehicle and opened Soni's door. "Stay on guard."

As the couple walked through the mall door, a man from the SUV hurried past Soni, bumping into her.

Soni glanced at Jim and whispered, "He's got a gun. I felt it."

"While you're getting baby supplies, I'll restock the ammunition."

Jim walked Soni to a department store. "No matter what happens, don't leave this store until I return." He stared at her.

Soni bent down, showed her boot knife, and tapped the small of her back.

Jim nodded. "I'll be right back."





Recognized


Okay fans!!!! We're getting ready for the show down at "The Ok Corral!' That is if I can pull it off. I'm not sure I can, I have it in my brain, but not sure I can get it on paper. It's still a few posts away, maybe quite a few. Thank you Google Images for a image of a cheeseburger. Its the end of the school year. I'm into comfort foods. I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. I have to post short because of working full time. I hate that. As I was posting some areas needed work so I changed things. I hope I didn't make it worse. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it. Three days of school left and one extra day for teachers. I know you know who's counting. My first graders are counting too.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.