General Fiction posted May 23, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
bright idea 837 words

Mommy Matrix

by LIJ Red

I review and review, because I enjoy other people's efforts. To get a five from me all you gotta do is try to spit it out where I can understand it. I don't have to agree with it, or think it's worth saying, just feel that you believe in it and gave it a heartfelt try. By the way, I wouldn't touch the works of most best-selling authors with somebody else's bifocals. If I see typos and such, I'll mention them. If it needs a rewrite, I'll skip it. Fanstory is writing at the grassroots level, the real stuff. Terrible, maybe, but real.

I say all that to say, my wellspring of creativity is burping dust. I won't trot out my muse and flog her, just gripe that every bright idea I've had lately is already in print.

I came to writing late, joining FS a few weeks before I used up my three score and ten. Too late. A real writer, now, today, needs eagle eyes and fox ears and nerve endings reaching out from an open mind. In other words, youth, or least youthful resilience. They need to roll with the punches of technology and overpopulation and political correctness and a shattered, screaming news media that lies a little with every half-truth and a populace that sucks up the cellphone/social media froth then runs for the pills or hard stuff.

Good people out there? Oh, Hell yes. A majority of them, maybe a slightly flawed and stained kind of good, but when they lose the majority, watch out. The house of cards is about to fold.

How much of our resources do we spend trying to protect ourselves from each other?

I was reviewing an essay on America, and the writer suggested that a return to older ways was needed.

No, there's no way back. To return to the methods of a century ago, we'd have to return to the population of a century ago. Old methods will not support modern humanity, two thirds of the population would have to die.

And God must stay out of the school house. All gods. Allah, too. If mine can't go there, yours should not be allowed in, either. And unless there's universal agreement, out of the municipal halls and state houses. No Gods Allowed. No Smoking.

And goverment, past a point--a long passed point now--is excessive, a tumor on society's rump. One side effect being the feudal armies of storm trooper cops, another the determined effort to wrest all real power from the people. It ain't a sweet world. Without the artillery to back it up, the ballot is a wisp of BS. Again, too late. The SWAT teams have us under control.

"But we have to have them. The Gangs! The Militias! The Terrorists! Those old white men!" Okay, I concede. We are a society unable to control ourselves, and the jackboot on our neck is what we've worked for.

All right, here we are, too many of us, and the sky is falling like acid rain and the sea is rising and mutilated boys are peeing in the ladies room. Now what?

The point of no return has been reached. The dog must run out of the woods. Perhaps more science cannot save us-but fer damn sure nothing else can. I said science, not bells and whistles and greed.

Get all the brains together, and build a computer. Clack clack went the Univac. Shut out all the lobbyists and dirty money and Caliphs and Popes and pretty jiggling butts and guys with automatic weapons and build a gigantic brain with Vulcan logic. One that can multitask a few billion situations simultaneously.

Then power it up and ask it:"Is there a Supreme Being?"

It will reply, "There is now."

Let it make decisions and allotments, in oil and migrants and toilet genders, in right and wrong, in what to plant in the back forty, and where to build the nuclear power plants, all on pure logic with one bottom line: keep as many humans alive and with as much freedom of choice in their affairs as possible.

It may have to forget other species, other than necessary food beasts. It may have to eliminate natural formations to optimize the photosynthesis effect--vast oxygen farms strategically located to allow humans everywhere to breathe. This could be avoided by letting it permit the birth of children so that numbers no longer run out of control. So that migrations do not annihilate existing nations. Sorry, Sweden.

This universal, continually upgraded computer, with every data input earth can manage, should never be disputed or overruled. All decisions should be made with cold, mechanical logic with the needs of the many the prime directive.

You're right. Nightmare world. No one will put up with such shit.

We can take care of ourselves, thank you. Hillary will protect us. Our lawyers will defend our rights. Our doctors will make us immortal. Our insurers will help us get rich.

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Enjoy.




In 1916 world population was still under two billion. In 2116 it is seven point four billion. Some of them are hungry now...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LIJ Red All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
LIJ Red has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.