Romance Fiction posted May 1, 2016 Chapters:  ...92 93 -94- 95... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Soni and Alex on their way to the hospital.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Veintisiete, (27) Part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I guess nobody liked the Comanche." Jim closed his book.

"Don't close it yet. We have Gunter meeting with Dieter and coaxing him west with land deeds."

Both Soni and Jim sat straighter in their chairs.

Kuruk continued, "Stephen F. Austin had sold the deeds to Gunter. It just needed to be finalized."

"But we still have 125,000 missing acres." When Soni heard the front door open, she hurried toward it.


TODAY'S POST:

Soni threw her arms around Alex's neck. "I'm glad you're back."

He nodded at the men who had followed Soni. "How's Tatiana?"

"She's resting comfortably for somebody who has second and third degree burns on her back. She's asking for Grandfather's medicine. We can leave as soon as you're ready." Soni waited for Alex's response.

"I'm ready now." He turned toward the door.

Kuruk put his hand on Alex's shoulder. "Not yet. You need a shower, change of clothes, and food." He paused. "You take care of the others, and I'll have food waiting for you. You can eat in the helicopter."

Soni, Kuruk, and Jim watched Alex pet the two large white dogs before he went into his and Tatiana's room.

*****

It wasn't long before Soni and Alex were in the helicopter. Kuruk and Jim would drive to Laredo at first light and meet them at the hospital.

Alex took a bite of pulled pork. "This is good. I guess I was hungrier than I thought. Did you or Kuruk make it?"

"Kuruk. Jim and I were busy."

"What were you arguing about this time?" teased Alex.

"We don't argue that much." Soni ignored Alex's raised eyebrows.

There was silence for a few moments.

"Littleton told me Jim isn't who he said he is," blurted Soni. "I guess his name's Jacob Blackwood, and he works for the government."

"I suspected he was a government man. Just didn't know what branch. Did Littleton say what branch, and why he's sharing this information with you?"

"I don't have an answer to either question. He handed me a paper as proof, but I didn't pay attention."

"You just got angry."

Alex attempted eye contact, but she avoided it.

"I guess that's about right. In the process, we did rescue Tatiana and shut down a meth lab. Does that count?"

"Of course it counts. Have you two made up or at least agreed to be peaceful with each other?"

"I guess. We made it back to the ranch together and were researching my family history to find out if I really own all of the Rockin' A." Soni glanced toward Alex. "I know you knew my grandpa Adler, but did you know his dad? Did you hear any stories about Dieter and Gunter Adler after they arrived in Texas?"

"A few." Alex took another bite of the pulled pork sandwich. "This is great." He licked his lips. "Cotton, corn, and wheat were main crops in East Texas. Dieter got a job working a gristmill for a highfalutin family and got a good salary."

"I know Gunter got two land deeds from Stephen F. Austin, one for himself and one for Dieter. Do you know how they paid for them?"

"Dieter saved his money. Your granddad and dad inherited that. Family lore has it that Gunter was a gambler and pretty good at it. I wish Kuruk had packed three sandwiches instead of two." Alex chuckled.

"The land grants were 250,000 acres each. With both of those together, I'm still missing 125,000 acres. Any ideas?"

"Oh honey, that's a heated question. Are you sure you want to go there? It may have been what got Gunter killed. Nobody knows for sure."



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for imagine of a helicopter. I want to thank all of you for sticking with me for so long. I know this novel is taking forever!!! It's not as long as it seems. I have to post short because of working full time. I hate that. Also, thank you for taking time to review and all the support you give me. I truly appreciate it. Twenty-three days of school left, but who's counting. I hurried to get posted this evening. I hope it's wasn't too fast.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.