General Flash Fiction posted April 18, 2016 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Both evil and good live.

A chapter in the book Their Stories

Human Demons

by jusylee72



It began early that morning.

A whisper, "Go pick up your daughter."

I ignored it. Logically, it didn't make sense.

'There is nothing different about today than any other day.'

My granmother, Minnie, was a medium. She could hear the dead, speak to the dead.

I was a logical thinker, an actuary for GPM Life. To me, life was statistics on a page. Numbers could predict who lived or died. 

I worked in a high rise on the seventeenth floor. Our company blessed us with onsite day care, "Little Angels' Day Care" on the first floor. They opened at 6:30. It was now 7:35. A major project was due that day.

Daycare rang my phone. 

"Jocelyn is acting strange. After you left, she started singing a song over and over, something about a tree. She keeps repeating.

"I want my Mommy. We have to leave." 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grandma Minnie's song. 

Just the two of us sitting in a tree
Singing songs and swaying in the breeze
and we play all day
with a cat named Fey
and we run and hide
from our dog named Clyde
Just the two of us sitting in a tree
Happy as can be
Happy as can be
Happy as can be.


Grandma Minnie was a twin. Jocelyn was too.

I was thrilled when I found out I was pregnant with twins.  Jeff my husband was scared. The doctor asked me if multiples ran in my family. "My grandmother is a twin."

"Sometimes twins skip a generation or two."

My happy life began.

The girls were perfect. Jaycee was smaller than Jocelyn. They were such good babies.

Grandma Minnie was still alive then. She took turns holding them, singing her childhood song.  One day, as she held Jaycee, I overheard her words.

"Some angels don't belong in this cruel world."

Two months later Jaycee died. SIDS was the official diagnosis.

Grandma Minnie died one month later.

For the first time in my life, I was out of control. Logic didn't help. Nothing was right. I couldn't sleep. I was angry, sad, obsessed with pain. I couldn't fix it. I couldn't change it.

Jocelyn changed too. She was 3 months old. The twins were good sleepers. Now there was no sleep. She would cry constantly. She would wake up three, four, five times a night. She didn't want me to hold her. She was mad at me. She was saying, "Where is my sister?" 

I tried but couldn't get past my own pain.

Jeff was in pain too but he refused to stop living.
He took the child care over.

He made me see a doctor.

With medication, I was in a haze for months.

One night, when the tears wouldn't stop, I felt different.

Someone was hugging me. Someone was telling me to move on.

Jeff sat on the couch holding our precious daughter. I sat down beside him. I told him I loved him. I asked to hold our baby.

I started to rejoin life.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was convinced something was wrong.

I never taught Jocelyn that song. It was too painful. The twins laughing in the tree, I just couldn't sing it.

She hadn't heard that song since she was a baby. She was 5 now. 

Yet, she was singing it today. 

I told my secretary I had to leave.

Jocelyn ran to me as I opened the door. "Mommy, we have to go home. Where's Daddy? We have to be with Daddy."

Work would have to wait. I signed her out. 

The parking lot was under the building. 

We got in the car. "Hurry Mama."

She began crying again. It was hard to understand her. She was sobbing uncontrollably.

"Tell the others. Make them leave. Tell the teachers. Evil. Man. Mommy."

We were a mile away when the blast went off.

An evil spirit of a man parked a U Haul full of manure in front of our building. The bomb went off at 9:02 a.m. - Oklahoma was never the same.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Demons and angels exist. They live among us.

Some people on earth see them. It is their gift and their burden.

If Jocelyn tells me there is a demon near us, I will fight it with her both spiritually and emotionally.

If she tells me there is an angel in our house, I hope it has the face of my Grandmother and she is holding Jaycee.

But---

If a human demon comes in my house, I won't hesitate. I keep a loaded pistol hidden in the paneling beside my bed.

Jocelyn turned 16 yesterday.


 



Paranormal Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Of course this is fiction. I vividly remember the day of the Oklahoma Bombing. First off I had a lesson to learn. I immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was some foreign terrorist who did this evil act. When I found out it was a home grown demon of a man, I was ashamed of myself. I still can see the pictures of the firemen carrying out those babies at the daycare. He knew he would be killing children and walked away. That is true evil.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.