Fantasy Fiction posted February 24, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Short Story

The Breath of Sin

by michaelcahill



 














Only a fool looks down for answers, the stars are in the sky.
 
I’d heard those words for as long as I could remember. I suppose they made sense. But I couldn’t help wonder why a ladder extended down through the Breath of Sin and into the abyss of hopelessness that was Earth. The Breath of Sin, it was said, could not be inhaled without it corrupting you. It was vile and stunk of human indulgence.
 
Humans were a species whose every act created waste. One of their byproducts was a foul mist obscuring any glimpse of what might lie on the surface below. This was the teaching and accepted as fact by all throughout Stratus, our sky bound home. I often looked down into the mist and wondered what lay beyond.
 
Why it concerned me living up here on Stratus many would like to hear an answer to, myself included I suppose. I can only say, I’m curious. I’m a lover of a tall tale and tall tales a plenty abound about Earth, The Breath of Sin and especially the ladder, the ladder to nowhere used by no one.
 
There are even radical sects who claim we are distant genetic offshoots of the vile creatures. They claim we escaped to the clouds for survival and built vast cities in the sky. They are laughed at mostly, but some, myself included, listen in fascination to their claims.
 
Very few know exactly who, if anyone, uses the ladder and for what purpose it exists. “The ladder exists as a symbol of hope and redemption; it is not used”. This is the official answer of the government. No one believes it fully. A ladder goes somewhere and it is meant to be ascended or descended, that is the function of a ladder. There is no other purpose in constructing one. A ladder disappearing into the Breath of Sin served a purpose beyond a mere symbol. A lovely statue of doves in flight would symbolize all the hope anyone could possibly need to visualize.
 
I will find out tonight. Me, Trina Fortunada, Laurie Lana and Ernie Arbor plan to descend that ladder come what may. Laurie and Ernie are friends, both have risen to prominence as security officers guarding the ladder and the plan though absurdly dangerous is to be set in motion tonight. I’m Adam Darwin. I’m of no great prominence here in our world. I’m simply curious.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
The guard, normally numbered four, heavily armed, stand there at three. Laurie and Ernie look stoic and give no indication of what will soon take place. I recognize the other gentleman, Lance Greenford. Lance has some bulk, a big fella, but brains don’t adorn the package in any great number, or so we assume. He has an eye for Laurie a fortunate turn in our favor. I don’t know where the fourth guard has gone, but it certainly won’t hurt matters that he is absent. The plan has gone from dangerous to almost simple.
 
“You must spend a lot of time working out.” Laurie touches Frank’s bicep with a little awe and just the right amount of space between her lips.
 
Frank just laughs. “Not all fit people are brainless, Laurie. I appreciate the seductive moves, but I’m going with you people. I want to know what’s down there too. Why do you think Karl isn’t here? Oops, a little scheduling mix up. Are we ready? Or are you going to try and subdue me?”
 
I laugh loudly at the unfolding scene, but quickly cover-up as though someone might overhear. I laugh again realizing no one is there but us daring adventurous souls.
 
I look at the ladder seemingly suspended in the air. It seems almost unreal. It feels entirely different when I grab its sides and start to descend. It feels much more substantial than it looks, almost like solid stairs securely in place. The others quickly follow.
 
The mist is bluish in color and the scent hits our nostrils long before we reach it. It holds no foulness and actually is pleasant, even intoxicating like too many gardenias. It takes a while upon entering it to become accustomed to the fragrance, but we do before long and all agree it is enjoyable at worst, exhilarating at best.
 
We first encounter tree tops. They are uncountable.
 
Laurie sounds giddy describing them. “Oh my, look at them, everybody. As far as the eye can see. This is nothing like we’ve been to believe. This is a forest … a grand enchanted forest like I’ve read about. I wonder if it is enchanted.”
 
“I hope I don’t have to fight any dragons”, Frank chuckles, “I left all my armour and gear at home. It is something though. Lord, have mercy. It must go on for miles. It doesn’t look like a desolate wasteland to me. I wonder what other lies we'll uncover.”
 
We reach the ground in short time and if the forest isn’t enchanted, it should be. Impossible abundance of lush greenery surrounds us splattered with every color of the rainbow. Wildlife we had only read about creeps and hides all around us. Our senses are giddy trying to take it all in.
 
It is our sense of hearing startled the most.
 
“Hail the masters of the sky. We welcome you. We are here to do your bidding”, we look down as one set of eyes at a crowd of perhaps forty humans prone before us.
 
They are not only human. They appear to be as human as we are. They aren’t ape-like creatures unevolved and living like animals, at least they don’t appear to be. They could be easily adorned with the latest fashions and paraded through the streets of Stratus without an eyebrow raised.
 
I must admit to being at a loss. I feel a shaking in my knees … fear, that’s what I feel, fear. I’d best be careful in my response. That much I know. “Why do you address us so? We are only here to visit.” My knees continue to shake. I hope they don’t notice.
 
A tall man with long blond hair and bronze wrinkled skin rises to greet me. “We are but Earthlings. We serve the masters of the sky. It has always been so.”
 

-To Be Continued-



 



Write About This contest entry

Recognized



I realize this has a bit more telling then most of my stories. But it's necessary.
I'm open to ideas as I've not settled on a story line yet. I've introduced components to pursue such as the mist and where it really came from, the ladder of course, and the hierarchy. How did it come to pass that those who dwell on the Earth are treated with more consideration than those who are not given the time of day.

In any case, this is the beggining.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Contests at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.