Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted February 18, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Problem with Integrity

It's Really Very Simple!

by fairydancer

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.
Integrity is a truly great concept, isn't it?

When applied, it ensures that we are the people who we want to be. And, it ensures that others know they can trust and rely upon us.

And integrity is such an easy thing to achieve, isn't it?

After all, doing the right thing is such a simple concept too.

So, likewise, integrity, or carrying out the actions which our thoughts tell us are the "right" things to do, is simple too.

Therefore, our actions will always be in line with our conscience, and we will never feel regret, or doubt, or distrust our own judgement; or feel the confusion and frustration which would go along with those feelings; and, we will always be happy. Yes?

Yet, at times, I have truly sympathised with Thomas Browne...

"There is another man within me, who is angry with me."

It is my conscience's way of giving me a good swift kick up the ar*e!

How about you?

But, in order to have integrity, all we have to do is analyse each issue objectively, openly and without bias, to come to the "right" solution, and then apply that solution. Yes?

So, why on earth, is that often anything but simple?

Firstly, how do we analyse without bias when we have a lifetime of experience? ...A lifetime of previous regrets, mistakes, losing things we want, and wrong-doers wrong-doings, which may influence our present and future decision making.

Secondly, WHO is it the right thing for? Can we really please all the people all the time?

Thirdly, how do we overcome any ambitions, dreams, desires, needs, or essential requirements which we may lose if we do the "right" thing?

Not so bloody simple now, is it?

And yet, truthfully, it IS simple...

...Because, in our hearts, we KNOW what is right and what is wrong. So, all we really have to do is learn to LISTEN. That shred of doubt is our conscience, and it KNOWS what is right, and what will threaten our integrity, and therefore our happiness.

Simple... yes?

Ha ha!!

So what still stops us? ...Sorry, what was that someone said? "Other fu*king people!"

But, they are not making our decisions for us, are they? Surely it is up to us to CHOOSE?

...Oh, you mean they'll sh*t on us from a great height for making some decisions (even if they are "right?")

But surely right is right and wrong is wrong. So, even if the outcome is negative, we can still choose to make the "right" decision? ...For our conscience's, integrity's, and happiness's sakes?

...Sorry. That is what? ...Naiive? Unrealistic? Stupid? Unambitious? ... ...

So we would rather live our lives tied up in knots and feeling confused, frustrated, angry, isolated... a kind of self-made, self-imposed hell on earth... would we?

WOULD YOU?

xxx




A huge THANK YOU to Gregory John for making this emotive and well executed artwork available for us mere writers to accompany ;)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. fairydancer All rights reserved.
fairydancer has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.