Horror and Thriller Fiction posted February 10, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A horror story

The Revenge of John Black

by write hand blue


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.















         




 
~The Revenge of John Black~

                                                           

                                                    ~♦~

624words


Uncomprehending, trying—trying his hardest not to look down.
Pain comes in waves.
He flinches.
"Oh, my God!"
Through clamped teeth he moans those awful sounds of despair.
His wet, sticky hand slips on that gooey mess spreading down his left side.
His racing heart misses several beats as his hand brushes against the handle of the knife sticking out of his chest.

His past flashes through his mind. He starts to fade.

***

This is Roy Winters, he's just a normal working guy who likes his beer at the weekends. It all starts with hang up calls on his mobile, becoming so bad he considers changing his number. One evening a voice speaks on the phone.

"I'm watching you."

"Who are you? What do you want?" Roy is in no mood for listening to perverts.

"You'll find out soon enough."

Finding it thoroughly annoying Roy raises his voice.

"Look, come round to my house and we'll sort this out. Whatever it is."

The caller laughs and puts the phone down.

After various threats Roy contacts the police, but unfortunately they are unable to help. All desk sergeant Williams can say is.

"This is strange because we can usually trace calls on a printout and nothing shows up. I advise you to change your number, and do come back if you get any more calls."

He changes the number and all is quiet for a while. Then one Saturday night the mystery caller lays in wait, attacking Roy while on his way home. In the morning he finds himself with a shining bruised eye, a lump on his head and a hangover.

All he remembers is the name John Black. Then, to Roy's dismay, the phone calls start again.

"You look pale. Roy, we have to stop this lunatic before he does you more harm," his friend Jeff watches with concern. "He seems to know when you're on your own. That makes him dangerous."

"Yeh! I got another threatening call this morning."

Roy's well meaning friend looks unhappy.

*

He's in a nightclub. It's early Sunday morning and it's time to make tracks for home, but Roy is a little drunk. So Jeff and a couple of friends escort him to his front door.

***

Swaying a little, Roy surveys his battered image and bloodshot eyes in the bathroom mirror. He knows he's had a little too much beer.

Rasping words penitrate his brain; his body goes strangley numb.

"I have you at last."

He feels a terrible burning pain, searing, inside his chest.
Vomit tries to rise. Unable to look, his hands feel the handle of a knife.
Desperation takes over—he tries to press two sides of the wound together—the blood still gushes. Forcing a face cloth against the wound makes no difference. He ransacks the bathroom cabinet for something—anything, bottles and packets fly everywhere.

"Nothing—How can this be happening to me?" he cries in despair.

Something makes him look into the mirror. Dark malevolent eyes and an evil smiling face stare back at him. Roy is beyond surprise or further horror as that voice starts again.


"I've got you now at last. I hate you!—Hate you!—You never let me out. All those years hidden inside.—Now I have you."

Those words in Roy's brain sound familiar. Resigning himself to his fate, and using the last of his strength he calls out to the mirror.

"Argh!—John Black, you
idiot—you're killing yourself as well!"

Shaking his head he leans over the sink and releases the wound. He has lost all interest in survival. These last words register in Roy's brain.


"Didn't mean to—Didn't—Oh nnnnnnnno

Roy goes through the final stages of blood loss and collapses to the floor dead. John Black, the face frozen in his image, finally has control...



Best Served Cold writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction tale of REVENGE. Maximum 800 words. This can be in any genre and can range from a light-hearted prank to a murderous act of vengeance. Clever twists and irony encouraged.

Recognized


I would like to thank you for reading my work. This is mainly written in UK English...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. write hand blue All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
write hand blue has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.