General Poetry posted October 12, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Picture This Challenge - Prose Poem

The Orange Sky of His Goodbye

by amada


Remembering Anthony--

I see the orange color.  Bold, audacious, bright. The mesmeric mixture of red and yellow,
passion and tenderness--I see my grandson, Anthony: it was his color.

I see the day of his birth, a bright sunny Sunday twenty-seven years ago. Cool, kicking up a storm,
as if he already knew his time on earth would be limited.
Perfect fingers, perfect toes.

I see each day the one hundred orange balloons that flew to the sky
in the day of his entombment.

I see the one that stayed behind--the balloon that became enlaced in the branches of a tree,
ight in front of our eyes. Oh, that sweet chalice of vision.
The blessed balloon stayed up there for a while, dancing with the wind, blending with the sky.
The nurturing branches softy swaying,  as if in a lullaby.

I see how, with miraculous gentleness, each one of the tree leaves opened softly, like rose petals in summer; in an easy twirl, Anthony flew into the sky. He already had run a decathlon and climbed mountains in life.

I see this miracle as his goodbye. Bright, teasing, laughing...as he was in life.

I  see the days with dark slashes on the road. Those are the days when I don't see a reason, or atonement, or light. Those are the days when I question and unravel before the Almighty God.

I also see my long narrow road under the solace of the orange color.  
Those days with a twist of brightness are the days when his sunny presence
graces me. 
= = = = = = = = = = =






               
 



Recognized


Twenty-eight stars at the bottom, for each year of my grandson's life.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amada All rights reserved.
amada has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.