General Poetry posted October 11, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Minute Poem variation

Persephone

by tfawcus

An echelon of ibis flew
In perfect vee,
As shadows grew
'twixt you and me

Across this pomegranate sky,
Persephone.
How can love die
So perfectly?

I glimpsed a curvature of beaks
That sliced the air
Adrift in streaks.
Such scars I bear.



Recognized


This Minute Poem variation (written with a rhyme scheme of abab instead of aabb) was inspired by a formation of seven ibis flying overhead one evening last month, white against a deep red sky.

The imagery of the poem is influenced by the Greek myth of Persephone, goddess of Spring growth and wife of Hades, who abducted her to the Underworld to make her his queen. She was rescued by the messenger god, Hermes, who is often associated with the Egyptian ibis, but because she had eaten six pomegranate seeds whilst in the realm of Hades, she was bound to return to him after the harvest, to spend the winter months of each year below ground.

Thanks to Julie (FanArtReview benhar) for the image. I see from her profile that she lives on Hindmarsh Island, South Australia - just a few miles away from me. Perhaps they are two of the very same ibis that I saw that evening!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tfawcus All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
tfawcus has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.