Romance Fiction posted October 4, 2015 Chapters:  ...62 63 -63- 63... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Help arrives.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Veinte, (20) Part Cinco

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As the clouds got closer, the number of would-be attackers could be seen. There's only three of us. What would Grandfather do? Soni closed her eyes and took deep breaths.

"Soni?" called Jim. "Do you see that large black bear to the left? He's standing on his hind legs. Is that your grandfather?"

"Not sure, but I think it's time you called in the Marines."

TODAY'S POST:

"I already have." Jim stared straight ahead. "Don't shoot. Make them take the first shot."

"So we're supposed to wait until we see the whites of their eyes? If we wait that long, they'll be sitting in our laps."

"Would you two stop arguing?" Tatiana stood beside Soni. "I think Jim has more experience with these things than you." She released a deep breath. "They're really close. I'm going back to my post."

Jim counted, "One, two, get ready, three." As he aimed, four Blackhawk helicopters rose over the horizon.

"Seems like they arrived just in time. How did you do that?" Soni blew out a deep breath.

"Aren't they a pretty sight? To be honest, I was getting a little worried myself." Jim watched twenty men air assault, rappelling down ropes from two helicopters behind the line of Los Zetas.

He glanced toward the black bear. It's moved closer to the enemy. I wonder why? Jim watched one man aim it. "NO!" As the bullet whizzed by the bear's head, the bear disappeared. I bet that'll mess with their superstitions. Jim grinned as the black bear reappeared behind the man who had shot at him. Using a large paw, it struck the man and knocked him down. The bear disappeared again before anyone could fire.

Two of the helicopters hovered over the band of determined Los Zetas that still headed toward them.

*****
The wind of the propellers blew Soni's hair loose from her long braids. She watched the sagebrush blow across the dry land. One man came closer than the rest. He's too close She took aim and fired. He fell to the ground.

Soni stepped closer to Jim as he spoke into his phone. "Yeah, I expected them to run the other direction, too." He was silent. "Give them some encouragement to retreat. There are men in place to arrest them."

After Jim put his phone away, Soni asked, "Exactly who are you?"

"Just an ex-Marine trying to help out a pretty lady. Now, get back to your post."

"Whatever!" Soni turned and stomped off.

"I heard that." Jim's laughter followed her.

Soni parked herself between the cab and the trailer.

Two helicopters turned and faced the gang members, aiming above their heads. Rat-ta-tat of the Gatling guns echoed throughout the mesas. Soni closed her eyes and then opened them and watched the majority of the Los Zetas continue forward. The few who had retreated were shot by their fellow gang members. Some were missed and continued running. Others ran a different direction. They're going to be arrested by the men who air assaulted from the helicopters. There's no way out.

When Soni heard the crack of Tatiana's T-Bolt, she turned her head and witnessed a man who had come up on the left fall to the ground. She gave Tatiana a 'thumbs up'. "Maybe he's El Loko, himself."

"I doubt it. He's on some beach living a life of leisure," Jim yelled his comment before returning to his post.

The helicopters that had carried the men who had air assaulted landed a few hundred yards behind the semi and joined the fight, protecting the young women cowered together.

Los Zetas continued firing at Soni, Tatiana, and Jim, who returned fire. The Gatling gun continued killing the remaining gang members, but not before Jim took a bullet.




Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a Blackhawk helicopter. I have had a horrible weekend. My sewer went out, and one of my orange Tabby's went missing. He's been missing for 24 hours. I appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I do NOT redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. Please remember this is part of a much longer chapter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.