Biographical Flash Fiction posted October 3, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A daring rescue goes unthanked

The Diving Board

by davisr (Rhonda)

A Good Turn Gone Wrong Contest Winner 

Walking briskly by a park in my townhouse complex, shivering against the brutal Indiana winter wind, I heard a commotion and saw a crowd standing around a high diving board. At the top sat a toddler dangerously close to the edge.

Without thinking, I scaled the fence and ran towards them, my heart beating audibly in my ears. I headed for the ice cold steps and began my assent. Being terrified of heights, I had never climbed this diving board before, but now was not the time to give in to phobias.

Higher and higher I climbed, leaving fear and reason behind, until I reached the pinnacle of the steps.

"Hang on," I cried, reaching the platform and sitting carefully.

The boy looked at me, horror frozen on his young face, but made no sound. I carefully inched towards him, praying that he didn't let go and fall to certain death in the icy water below.

Finally, I reached the boy and pried his fingers loose from the board to lift him into my arms. Still, he didn't speak. I held him tightly as I rose to my feet and teetered back to the steps. One arm wrapped around the child, and the other gripping the ladder, I climbed cautiously down.

The crowd cheered when I reached the bottom, but quieted when a man pushed through, his eyes frantic, and his face a mask of horror.

"That's my son," he yelled. "What are you doing with him?"

"I just pulled him off the diving board," I began. "He climbed up..."

The man snatched the boy from my arms and headed home, ignoring my explanation. I looked at the man, and then at the crowd. I was just fourteen years old. Was I the only adult in the bunch?



Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300

A Good Turn Gone Wrong
Contest Winner

Recognized


Thanks to the beautiful artwork by cleo85

A true story from my childhood! It turns out the boy slipped out while his father was asleep, and climbed the diving board. The father saw me climb down the ladder, but I guess he felt so guilty he decided to put the blame on me.

I still don't know why no one else climbed the ladder after him. There's no accounting for other folks
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.