General Fiction posted October 4, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
compelling short story beginnings

For the Art, Not the Money

by michaelcahill

Must Read Story Beginnings-RELOADED Contest Winner 

Reader's Digest Wishes











 

                Plymouth Colony, 2087

 
floating in a tin can damn song bouncing through my brain … even got the bots calling me Major Tom. I'm the last of humanity, or so I thought.
 
"This is the Mayflower. Identify yourself".
 
"Is this real? Are you human?"
 
 

 

I knew as I swam out to sea I was being called home. Still, thoughts of drowning nibbled at my resolve. Maybe my dreams were only dreams. Screams from shore grew distant. I dove out of view, silencing them completely.
 
 

 

Detective Chuvalo peered over the cliff into dense fog. Dizziness forced her retreat. Romansky looked calm diving off the cliff to his certain death. 

Nope,case closed isn't sitting right with me on this one. 

The outgoing tide won't help.
 


 

"What about "The Jet", Boss? Re-habbin' two years. He's ready".
 
"London? You kidding? He's washed up. Damn, Coach, you're getting soft."
 
"Invite him to camp. Good story, right?'
 
"You want him, fine, but you're the one who cuts him".
 


 

The accident made him lead dog. It didn't seem a job likely to last the day. His master lay unconscious. Eight of the team were lost under the ice. Houdini proved to be an apt name. But survival seemed impossible.
 
 

 

                   
               Dear Momma Ofay



 
"Here's your … baby, Mrs. Rutherford". Nurse Jordan swallowed giggles.
 
Constance Lee Rutherford's face grew even whiter as she beheld her newborn son. He was as black as her racist soul.
 
"There … must … be some mistake".
 
"Ain't that the truth".


 





 



Must Read Story Beginnings-RELOADED
Contest Winner

Recognized





Plymouth Colony and the Mayflower refers to the Pilgrims in early America circa 1620.
"Floating in a tin can" and "Major Tom" is from a David Bowie song about an astronaut (Major Tom) stranded in outer space in a spaceship.'

Lead dog and team refer to sled dog teams used in extreme cold weather areas that become snowbound.

Ofay: Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used to refer to a white person.

These are all forty words or less not including titles. Hand counted.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.