General Poetry posted August 23, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Sonnet

The Causeway

by tfawcus

Some days I stand beyond myself and see,
through swirling mists, a destination sought;
an island split from mainland certainty
by seas that isolate my every thought.

This island is myself - a no-man's land
between the warring elements of doubt
and faith - a granite outcrop in the sand
that builds a bar to keep intruders out.

Perhaps a causeway could be built between
the mainland mass and island Mandelbrot
that splits the fractal essence from obscene
routines of daily life, and one that's got

the screwpile jetty strength to span my mind
with planks to join my dreams to all mankind.




Write a Sonnet contest entry

Recognized


Mandelbrot: Mandelbrot was one of the first to use computer graphics to create and display fractal geometric images to show how visual complexity can be created from simple rules. He said that things typically considered to be "rough", a "mess" or "chaotic", like clouds or shorelines, actually had a "degree of order". (Wikipedia)

Screwpile: a steel screw-in piling and ground anchoring system used for building deep foundations. (Wikipedia)

Picture, by the author, of a pergola he is currently constructing from timbers salvaged from recent repairs to the 630-metre screwpile jetty (The Causeway) built in 1867 to link Granite Island to the mainland town of Victor Harbor, which lies in the picture's background. The Victor Harbor Horse Drawn Tramway has operated for more than 120 years and uses teams of Clydesdale horses to ferry visitors across The Causeway to the island's Fairy Penguin colony. It is a significant South Australian icon and forms a fond memory for many holidaymakers.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tfawcus All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
tfawcus has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.