Romance Fiction posted August 2, 2015 Chapters:  ...53 54 -55- 56... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The doctor advises Kuruk to have tests done.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Dieciocho, (18) Part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After Kuruk was placed on the gurney, Jim removed the Apache Tear from his pocket and placed it in Kuruk's. Right now, you need this more than me.

Jim started to follow the gurney but was stopped by Littleton. "Where do you think you're going?"

"With Kuruk." Jim stepped around the agent.

"Stop! You're under arrest for assaulting a government agent."


TODAY'S POST:

As Littleton's cell phone rang, he pointed a finger at Jim. "You'd better not disappear. I need to take this." He answered the phone.

That SOB! Jim walked a few feet down the hall and poked the numbers on his cell. "I need help. A Homeland Security agent's making all kinds of trouble. I don't know what his problem is, but something needs to be done. He's interfering with my case." He listened. "His name's Ralph Littleton." Again, Jim was silent. "Everybody he's trying to arrest is innocent. He's not even looking at Sanchez. I think he's on the cartel's payroll." He hung up and continued to ER.

Jim walked into the room and watched Kuruk try to convince the doctor that he was fine and this bed would better serve somebody else. Jim hung his head. And Soni wants me to make sure Kuruk gets help. He doesn't want medical attention.

Kuruk's eyes met Jim's. "Please tell Dr. Roberts that his services aren't needed. I'm perfectly healthy, and any problems there might be I can take handle myself."

"You did faint." Jim tried to choose the correct words. "It wouldn't hurt to have the doctor examine you. You still retain the right to refuse any treatment."

"That's settled. I'll schedule seven tests after the exam and medical history are completed." The doctor stepped closer.

Kuruk set his jaw. "I'm sure after the exam you'll realize seven tests aren't necessary. I have no medical history. I've been healthy all my life."

"What tests are you talking about?" asked Jim. "I'm sure some can be eliminated."

"First, we'll do a complete blood work-up, to include blood volume. The tilt table test, hemodynamic test, an autonomic test, an echocardiogram, EEG, ECG, EP, External Loop Recorder, Holter monitor, Insertable Cardiac Monitor, and Mobile Cardiac Telemetry System. Those will be needed to get a complete picture of what's going on with Mr. Four-Bear's heart. I think I'll add an MRI." He wrote on his pad.

"It's Chief Four-Bear." Jim faced the doctor. "Right now, the complete blood work-up is all that's necessary. After we have those results, we'll decide what else is needed."

"I have a few questions for you, Chief."

Kuruk nodded for the doctor to continue.

"Your temperature's elevated. How long has it been high? Have you had any chills, fatigue, body aches or a headache?"

"I've had cold or flu symptoms for a little over a week. I just can't seem to shake it."

The doctor glanced up from his pad. "Please continue."

"Chills and body aches, especially knee aches. Some fatigue, but I'm seventy-four years old. I get tired."

"Headache? How about a rash?"

"On the back of this leg." Kuruk pulled up his left buckskin pant leg. "See the rash. It looks like a bull's-eye. I must have been bitten by a spider when I went searching for herbs a few weeks ago."

Dr. Roberts called in a nurse. "Take Chief Four-Bear to the lab for blood tests." Again, he wrote on his pad before handing it to the nurse. "While he's gone, I'll arrange for him to go into ICU for monitoring and observation."

"I can walk. I don't need a wheelchair or to be monitored or observed."

"Sir, the wheelchair's hospital policy. As for the room, you'll need to take that up with the doctor."

"But I'm twice your size. I should push you."

"Ma'am, may I push?" Jim winked at the young nurse and took the wheelchair handle. "You can walk right beside me."

After blowing out a slow breath, Kuruk asked, "On the way to the lab, can I stop and check on my granddaughter and Tatiana?"

As Jim and the nurse rolled Kuruk towards Soni's room, Littleton was talking on his cell. He removed the phone and glared at Jim. "I know you had something to do with this. I just don't know what, but I'll figure it out. Don't think I won't." He headed toward the elevator. "Come on, men. We need to contact Search and Rescue and the Coroner's Office about getting the four bodies down from El Capitan."

Once inside Soni's room, Grayson and Running-Deer motioned for Jim to talk privately with them. He stood beside them.

Gray looked around, making sure nobody could hear his question. "I know you had something to do with Littleton leaving. Who are you? Are you undercover? And why are you here?"

Jim avoided eye contact. "I don't know what you're talking about." He turned, took a step, and turned back. "I will say these are good people." He joined Kuruk and Soni.

"You cut through the government's red tape quickly and effortlessly. Exactly, who are you?" asked Soni.

"I can't answer that." Jim's eyes studied the floor.

"So after everything we've been through, you still don't trust me enough to answer my questions. Maybe you should leave." Soni adjusted her blanket.

"I can't do that either. Kuruk and you are in danger."

"Jim, I'm ready to get this blood test over and see what this Whiteman's medicine is all about."

Jim raised an eyebrow and took the handles. "Okay." He turned Kuruk around and said over his shoulder. "I'll be in to check with you ladies later."

Kuruk struggled to turn but nodded and winked at Tatiana.



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a bull's-eye rash. I've made quite a few changes as I posted. I hope I didn't make it worse. I appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I do NOT redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. Please remember this is part of a much longer chapter. My husband and I are taking a few days off to go to west Texas. Tuesday evening we're going to McDonald Observatory and going to a star gazing party. I'm excited about that. Then we will go to Guadalupe National Park. I am NOT going to climb Guadalupe Mountain, but I am going to hike the trail at the bottom of El Capitan. I'm hoping to get more insight to the area that Soni and Jim are around.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.