Romance Fiction posted July 26, 2015 Chapters:  ...52 53 -54- 55... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A doctor attends to Kuruk.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Dieciocho, (18) Part Dos

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Jim released a deep breath. "I'm checking on Soni." He turned toward her door.

"You deserve a half-breed squaw."

In one swift move, Jim turned and slugged Littleton on the jaw. Ralph fell backwards into the arms of two of his agents. Jim glared at the third, who remained neutral.

Jim turned when he heard Soni and Tatiana scream. He saw Kuruk had fallen to the floor. "Get help!"


TODAY'S POST:

At the ranch, Alex heard a ruckus, grabbed his rifle, and headed for the door. He pushed his way through four large growling dogs, trying to get out. "Don't understand why somebody would be stupid enough to try anything around here with you guys," he muttered under his breath.

As Alex reached the door, he heard a gunshot. Butkus leaped up and, with his front paw pushed the door handle down and the four dogs led the way to the stables. Alex jogged behind.

When they got inside the stables, Gus was holding his rifle. "I hit one of them varmints in the arm. I think they came after Midnight." Gus eyed the black stallion. "I can't for the life of me figure out who'd want that ornery horse."

"Soni loves him." Alex turned and watched Diego and Midnight nuzzle noses. "I guess so does Diego."

"I can understand them, but nobody else. That horse was a present from her dad. When he was a colt, Diego watched over him. He won't let anybody, but Soni ride him." Gus put the rifle in the gun case. "What do you think we should do?"

"First sign of daybreak, we'll load Midnight and take him to The 7 Lobos Ranch. It's over on the Louisiana border. He'll be safe there until things calm down." Alex petted the horse's neck. "He'll sire some beautiful colts."

"I'll call a few ranch-hands back and have them take turns guarding the stables tonight and some to track those guys. I think there were three." Gus took out his phone. "Soni's not going to like you taking Midnight without her. You gonna call her?"

"I will in the morning. I don't want to bother her now. She has enough to worry about."

*****
Soni yanked the tubes from her arm and ran to her grandfather. She wiped a tear rolling down her cheek as she knelt beside him, taking his hand in hers.

Jim crouched beside her. "You should be in bed. The doctor's been called. He's on his way." He touched the old man's neck and bent over him. "He has a strong pulse. That's a good thing."

"Of course, he does." Soni's eyes met Jim's. Grandfather's going to be all right." She stifled a sob. "He has to be."

A young doctor and two nurses burst into the room. "Move back!" he ordered as he knelt beside Kuruk. A nurse ushered Soni back to bed and replaced her IVs.

The doctor turned toward Soni. "When's the last time he's seen a doctor, and who's his primary?"

"Grandfather's a Shaman. He's never been to a doctor."

"What?" The doctor looked at his patient, and then at the nurse. "We need to transport him to cardiology. I suspect heart issues."

"Jim?" Soni's eyes met his when he turned. "Please go with him. He's not going to take this well. He doesn't like White Man's medicine."

Jim nodded. "Do you want me to notify Alex?

Tatiana closed her eyes. "No, we'll wait until we know something. Maybe Kuruk's just worn out from today's problems. It's been an awful day." She glanced toward the hallway. "And that man continues to make it worse."

As an orderly brought in the gurney, Littleton followed. "He's not going to get out of being arrested by faking a heart attack."

The doctor looked up at the Homeland Security Agent. "He's not faking. The man's unconscious."

After Kuruk was placed on the gurney, Jim removed the Apache Tear from his pocket and placed it in Kuruk's. Right now, you need this more than me.

Jim started to follow the gurney but was stopped by Littleton. "Where do you think you're going?"

"With Kuruk." Jim stepped around the agent.

"Stop! You're under arrest for assaulting a government agent."



Recognized


Thank you photobucket for the image of the blackbear in a dream catcher. I've made quite a few changes as I posted. I hope I didn't make it worse. I appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I do NOT redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. Please remember this is part of a much longer chapter, also.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.