Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 27, 2015 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Talking into the night

A chapter in the book The Misjudgement

Decisions Made

by Ulla



Background
James lent his yacht for money to two men. They now threaten James. James regretting it all is taking action. On the night of Sarah's party they observe light at the lake and are now very worried.
James looked at Sarah, his mind racing.

'So you say you noticed the same thing as me? What we saw could be pure coincidence, but there's not much we can do about it tonight.' James, looking at Sarah, didn't feel at all comfortable. 'Well, I want another drink.' He turned to the drink cabinet and looked at her.' Care to join me?'
She nodded. 'Go on,' handing her glass to James.

Sarah sat back in her chair and gazed through the window into the night. It reflected nothing but a black picture. Tiredness swept over her, and for a moment it took possession of her whole body. It had been a long day, and with an effort she pulled herself together, turned towards James, and accepted her drink. She savoured the aroma.

'Why don't you tell me what happened at the police station this morning?' Sarah did her best to hide the yawn.

'OK, I met up with David as arranged. Last night he promised to help if possible. We were led to an interrogation room and soon seated with two officers. They inserted a tape into a device, and after recording the date and hour, they asked me to go ahead with my statement. The long and the short of it is that the police want to know the dealings I have with those two characters.' James sighed. 'I wish I could change things.'

He took a swig of his drink and continued.

'That I have received money from them doesn't speak in my favour. The whole time, the two police officers behaved as if they didn't believe a word I said. I suppose I am to blame for being stupid, and will be charged with aiding and abetting. But, we'll see.'

Sarah looked at James, doing her best again to show the sympathy she harboured for him.
She didn't know what to think, and this was a James she didn't recognise. The doubt, although slight, made her uncomfortable.

Sarah sat up straight and lifted her glass, 'what is to happen now then?'

'I have no idea.' James turned and poured himself another, his hands trembling.' I suggest we go to bed and get whatever sleep we can catch.'

Sarah looked at James, surprised by the sudden anger that welled up inside her.

'In that case,' her voice trembling, 'why don't you stop drinking? This is my house and I don't remember asking you to spend the night. But, I'm not inclined to ask you leave either, so I suggest you use the guest bedroom on the first floor.'

James looked at her and realised how much he'd underestimated her. He also understood, he'd hurt her more than he'd imagined. The reason he'd come was to show her he hadn't forgotten, and that he wanted to congratulate her on the launch of her new collection.

'You must think me a jerk, not even asking you how your evening went, and a very important one at that. I'm grateful I can stay the night though. I don't care much for going out there, not at this time of night. Let's sleep on it, and talk tomorrow morning. Everything always looks brighter in daylight. I'm so sorry.'

He looked away to hide his shame.

Sarah, her anger gone as fast as it had appeared, stood up, went over to him and caressed his cheek. 'Good night James; speak in the morning.'

With that she disappeared up the stairs.

What an idiot he'd been. Why hadn't he trusted her enough to confide in her? He swallowed the remains of his drink and made his way up to his room.

<><><>

James woke up tired after a restless night. A quick shower and he went down to the kitchen where Sarah was tucking into her breakfast. 'Do you want coffee?'

He accepted with a nod, the smell of caffeine entering his nostrils. James gazed out of the window, and the grey morning looked back at him as in sympathy with his mood.

He turned towards Sarah, stopped, and caught his breath, almost forgetting what he was about to say. She looked beautiful, and at the same time so sad that it tugged at his heart.

The sense of guilt overwhelmed him.

'Sarah, I've been thinking, and I've decided that I don't want you to be involved in this. You stay here and please don't argue. I'm going to the boat shed at the lake, to check a few things. I want to find out whether somebody was here that explains the light we both noticed. But you are not to go there. If I'm not back within the hour, call the police.'

James stood up, looked at Sarah one last time, trailing a finger along her cheek, turned around and closed the door behind him.

Sarah looking at the door murmured, 'Well, we'll see to that, won't we?'


<><><><>

At that instant the phone rang. Sarah wondered who would call a Sunday morning. It didn't stop, so in the end she went to answer it.

'Hello!'

'Can I talk to James Wilkinson?' The voice was gruff, not short of being aggressive.

'I'm sorry he is not here, with whom am I speaking?'

But the line was dead.

A pensive look crossed Sarah's face. Something was wrong. As far as she was aware, nobody knew James was staying at her place. She had to go to the shed to warn James. After a quick change of shoes, she left, locked the front door behind her and hurried along the path.

She kept calling James' name. But no answer. He wasn't long gone, so where was he? She was at the shed now. Everything was quiet, not a sound. Once again she called James' name and yet again, no answer. She felt the worry that swept over her, as she looked across the lake, the water shimmering in the early morning light.

Sarah walked towards the small building, still seeing nobody and turned to the entrance door. It appeared to be closed.

She pushed, hinges screeching, and the door slid open. She hesitated for a second before she entered. 'James, are you there?' But no answer.

It was dark inside, so she waited to let her eyes adjust, listening out for any noise. In that instant she sensed, more than heard the movement. There was somebody there. Just then something hit her head, and everything went black.............


To be continued



Recognized


James Wilkinson: lent his boat to complete strangers. Lives alone.

David: Old friend. Former police officer. Trying to help James.

William: James' son, albeit somewhat estranged

Sarah: James' long suffering girlfriend.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ulla All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ulla has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.