Romance Fiction posted May 25, 2015 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The dogs help Jim.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Dieciseis Part Tres

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Goliath came from searching for a shelter and sauntered toward the large animal. After some silent interaction, the large dog returned to Jim and motioned to Jim to follow him.

I guess he's friendly. And why not? All these animals are strange. Kuruk is the Apache word for bear. Now, I'm imagining things. Jim faced Soni as she spoke. It sounds like she's speaking Apache to Kuruk. She used shoodii and Miguel in the same sentence. Shoodii means coyote. Kuruk told Soni an Apache folklore and the coyote was an evil trickster. I wonder what she's saying. Jim acknowledged Goliath. "Give me a minute."

TODAY'S POST:

Goliath nudged Jim's arm with his large muzzle.

"I know you found shelter and want me to see it." Jim glanced toward the bear that remained seated, watching them. He then released a deep breath. "I can't leave Soni. He may attack her."

The black bear stood on its hind legs, showing his full, seven feet tall size, and then roared. He moved closer, only 15 feet away.

Jim's blue eyes widened as his brows rose. "Okay, I'll follow Goliath and you'll watch Soni." He stood and ran his fingers through his short sandy hair. This has to be a bad dream. When I wake up, everything will be back to normal.

Goliath led Jim to the backside of the El Capitan. The large white dog stopped and sat. Jim walked over and stood underneath a light gray limestone overhang. He continued turning until he had faced all three covered sides. "This will work. You did a good job, boy."

The Great Pyrenees' tail swished back and forth a few times.

"I bet we'll face East in the morning. Let's get back to Soni. We'll need to make a travois to bring her here."

The two hurried back to Soni, Butkus guarding the four ambushers, and the two horses. Once Jim stood beside Soni, the bear returned to his original fifty feet away and sat.

Jim knelt by Soni and placed his hand on the blanket they'd used to hoist her. "This won't work to move her across the rocks. I need two large poles."

Butkus barked.

"What's wrong, big guy?" Jim paused. He's telling me something, but what? After staring at the brindle mastiff for a few moments, Jim said, "I get it. You want me to tie up the men so you can help Goliath find the poles."

The dog barked his response.

"You're not as good at communicating as the others. I guess Soni's dad didn't talk much." Jim chuckled. "With Soni around, he probably didn't get a chance." After he held the rope he'd used to reach Soni and bring her to safety, he cut it into sections. Jim tied the four men's hands behind their backs and then tied their feet together. The other end of the rope, he tied around each victim's neck. "I doubt you'll cause any more trouble."

When that was completed, the Great Pyrenees and the mastiff left together.

"I sure could use a cup of coffee." Jim held Soni's hand. "I wonder if those two mutts would catch some rabbits for dinner. They would for Soni. Will they for me?"

Soni's eyelids fluttered. "All you think about is your stomach."

"You're awake!" Jim leaned over and kissed her forehead.

"I don't feel too well."

"I'm sure you don't. Do you remember what happened?"

"I remember these men coming after us." Soni tried to turn her head. "I ache all over. Do we have shelter?"

"Goliath found a place. Once the dogs come back with two poles, I'll move you to it. Right now, don't try to move."

Soni fell back to sleep.

*****
What's taking them so long? Jim checked his watch and scanned the area. By now, Alex and Kuruk are worried about us. We should've returned hours ago. I hope they sent a search party after us. There's no way I can get Soni off this mountain by myself.

Goliath and Butkus each dragged small tree trunks longer than they were and placed them in front of Jim.

"Those are perfect. Good job." Jim petted each dog's head.

It didn't take long to make a makeshift stretcher. Jim tied a loop and placed it around Butkus's neck. He lifted the other end. "I think this will work." Jim glanced at the men. "You'll have to fend for yourselves. Come on, boys." He motioned for the horses and Goliath to come.

The black bear remained at the same distance but followed parallel to them.

Jim placed Soni under the overhang. He began to gather small limbs and branches. "I'll start a fire. Roasted rabbit would taste good about now."

Goliath stared at Jim before he left. Butkus followed.

"You're not doing all the work. What do you think I'm doing?" Jim finished starting the fire. "Before long those two will start a dog workers' union." He chuckled as he fed the horses. A dog union.

About the time Midnight and Smoky finished eating, Goliath and Butkus returned with three large rabbits.

Jim skinned and then placed them on a stick before he set it over the campfire. "The fire's good and hot. It shouldn't take long."

Both dogs stood, their ears upright, and their eyes focused toward a sound.

Jim glanced toward the bear. It sat there, but was slightly harder to see. He rubbed his eyes. I must be tired. He appears to be fading. He looked again. Only half the bear's outline could be seen. Again, he rubbed his eyes, this time shaking his head. What's going on? The black bear had disappeared.




AUTHOR'S NOTES:

I've had a few people question the limestone and the black bears in west Texas. I hope this helps.

El Capitan is composed of Capitan Limestone, which is the Permian-aged limestone reef deposit. A reef is a submerged resistant mound or ridge formed by the accumulation of plant and animal skeletons. The Capitan Limestone is a massive, fine-grained fossiliferous limestone that formed by growth and accumulation of invertebrate skeleton of algae, sponges, and tiny colonial animals called bryozoans. These skeletons were stabilized by encrusting organisms that grew over and cemented the solid reef rock, unlike modern reefs built by mainly a rigid framework of corals.

Mule deer live throughout the park, and are often seen browsing near the campground or along park trails. Occasionally, especially in winter months, elk may be seen grazing near springs or along the highway corridor. Other mammals that may be seen include coyotes, the gray fox, desert cottontails, black-tailed jackrabbits, ringtails, and rock squirrels. Lucky visitors will occasionally encounter a mountain lion or a pack of javalinas. Though black bears also live in the high country, they are rarely observed.



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a black bear standing on it's hind legs. Yes, West Texas does have black bears. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post. I do not describe the physical features of my characters in every post. I updated my profile and lost the photograph. Since I lost that photograph I have tried to upload a photograph of my four boys. I think it's struggling to come up too. Maybe I shouldn't have an image. LOL We only have 8 days left with students and 9 days left for teachers. YEAH!!!!!!!!! I am really looking forward to this break.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.