General Fiction posted May 25, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A simple conversation

Brocolli, Milk, What?

by jmdg1954










It's been about seven weeks since my son and his family spent one week with us. I think I'm close to being fully recuperated. At the time, making sure everything was perfect for our three grandchildren to visit was the easy part. The exhausting part was being the constant attraction, center stage if you will, for them.

Their was always a, "Grammy, come," or "Grammy, play with me," Grammy, can you color with us?" Then for me, it was things like, "Poppa, Poppa carry me," or a huge request after doing its once was, "Poppa, pick me up and dance." Throw in the fighting, squealing, screeching, hissy-fits and crying, it's enough to drive one crazy. Now I understand that phrase where they say, "raising kids is best left for the young". How true.

Please don't misunderstand me, I wouldn't change anything about them or that week. They're perfect! Whose grandchildren aren't? Especially after an evening bath and they begin to settle down (hence the above photo), it doesn't get much better.

As I watched them that night, "chilling out" together I think is the proper vernacular, I began to wonder what they were thinking and saying to each other.

Let's do a little eavesdropping. I believe it may have gone something like this...

Aria, the newborn in the center starts off by saying, "Mommy told me she and Daddy magically kissed one special night under the light of the moon and stars. She said that was me, her little star. A few days later I was born. How did you guys get here?"

Ryder, our two-year-old grandson located on the left replied in only the way he can, "I don't exactly remember, Aria. It was over two years ago. That's a long time for someone my age. But I'm thinking that when I graduate kindergarten, I'm gonna get me a wife. Yeah. That's what I'm thinking."

Aiden, the oldest on the right is our granddaughter. She shakes her head at them. "If you want to be loved by somebody who isn't already in your family, it doesn't hurt to be beautiful," she says stroking her hair. "Aria, what do you think?"

"What? About your hair?" Aria asked.

"No."Aiden said. "About the family stuff. Sheesh."

Aria continues, "Thinking about that stuff gives me a headache. I'm just a kid. I don't need that kind of trouble. Hey... Why're you sticking your tongues out at me? What did I do?"

Ryder's quick to answer. "Aria, it's like this. I let my big sister pick on me because Mommy says she only picks on me because she loves me. So I pick on you, my baby sister because I love you!"

"Awe, thanks, Ryder. Aiden? You?"

"Hmmm, let me see," Aiden said. "It's like kissing a puppy. They always slobber all over you. That's why I stopped doing it. Anyway, what Ryder said works for me too."

Ryder finished the conversation before dessert by telling his sisters an incredible discovery he made during dinner that night. "You can't hide a piece of broccoli in a glass of milk. It just.. doesn't... work."

"Okay, everyone upstairs and under the covers, Poppa's going to read, Scuffy the Tugboat."

"Yea!"





Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.