General Fiction posted April 26, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Marybeth, a girl with Cerebral Palsy, types her beliefs

A Girl's Beliefs

by davisr (Rhonda)

I Believe Contest Winner 

I believe in the laughter of little girls and the strength of little boys;
I believe in the love of parents for their children;
I believe in the dedication of a man to his wife;
I believe in the wisdom of the old and the courage of the young;
I believe in the healing power of puppies and the wonder of kittens;
I believe in the beauty of nature and the splendor of a honeycomb;
I believe in grandparents that spoil their grandchildren;
I believe in you and your lifelong pursuits;
I believe in me and all the good I can do;
I believe in cookies straight out of the oven;
I believe in Jesus and that he died for me on the cross;
and, Mama, I believe that you believe that someday I can walk and run like other children.

*****

"That's really good," Felicia said. "I'm sure that's exactly what your teacher wanted for a poem."

She looked on the computer screen where Marybeth had been typing.

"But is it 'free verse'?" Marybeth typed for her mother to read.

"Goodness, child, you are asking the wrong person," Felicia replied, patting her daughter on the shoulder.

Marybeth turned her head where she could cut her eyes over at her mother. The elongated end of the helmet she wore to type pointed accusingly.

"I quit trying to help you with homework once you started high school. All that 'new math' is too much for me," Felicia explained.

Marybeth turned back around to the computer.

"This is English, not math, Mama," she typed, adding a smiley face at the end.

"You get my point," Felicia said, "and, I'm sure if you turn that incredible poem in then you will get a 100. I love it, sweetheart. I'll always be your greatest fan."

Marybeth typed again, and Mama looked on.

"Where's Daddy?" Felicia read out loud. "I also believe in the honesty of fathers."

"He's where he always is in the evening," Felicia explained smiling. She was a better cheerleader than critic.

"Designing my indoor pool?"

"Yes," Felicia replied. "You know what he says about being the daughter of a Mechanical Engineer."

"He said that if he can't use his skills to make his little girl happy then he's not much of an Engineer," Marybeth typed back. "Do you really think he can make the whole house water accessible so that I can swim about like a mermaid?"

"If anyone can, it will be your father," Felicia replied. "Since they've discovered how well you are able to move in water, he's been completely dedicated to his plan."

"And if it works for me, just think of all the people who can be helped with water technology."

"That's the plan, sweetheart," Felicia said, giving Marybeth a kiss on top of her head.

"So I guess I need to add a line to my poem: 'I believe in my mother's support and my father's skill'."

"I think that would be a wonderful addition, sweetheart."


Writing Prompt
Write a story or essay that begins with the sentence: I believe _______ (finish the sentence). Maximum word count: 1,000.

I Believe
Contest Winner


Thanks to Bertodi for the beautiful drawing of a young lady in a wheelchair.

I based this story on a friend I grew up with who had very debilitating cerebral palsy who used to type with a helmet on her head to communicate with her family and friends.

It is also based on a student who had CP, but was very spunky, and could swim easily, but couldn't walk, so dreamed of an indoor water world.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.