Children Poetry posted March 22, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Elephants march to their sunset.

Ten Elephants

by Sis Cat

Ten elephants marched in a single line.
A poacher shot one. The herd shrank to nine.

Nine elephants sheltered behind a gate.
When thieves cut the wires, the herd shrank to eight.

Eight elephants fled planes from the heavens.
Bullets rained on one. The herd shrank to seven.

Seven elephants dreamed of carved chopsticks.
One fell in a pit. The herd shrank to six.

Six elephants roamed where thousands once thrived.
Poisoned spears pierced hide. The herd shrank to five.

Five elephants stampeded forest floor.
Machete hacked one. The herd shrank to four.

Four elephants foraged between the trees.
A wired path snarled one. The herd shrank to three.

Three elephants protected at a zoo.
One ate spiked melons. The herd shrank to two.

Two elephants trudged to the setting sun.
A tank mine blew up. The herd shrank to one.

One orphaned elephant left all alone.
He grieved, cried, and died, and then there were none.



Poem concerning death for children contest entry

Recognized


Each day, poachers kill 104 elephants for their ivory tusks. Over the past century, people have killed 95 percent of the world's elephant population. The rate of decimation increases as China's burgeoning middle class demands ivory carved into everything from chopsticks to tchotchkes. Experts predict wild elephant extinction in ten to twenty years.

I reviewed adewpearl's recent poem "Ten Elephants." I saddened to read the counting poem in which the number of elephants dwindled to one. I reflected on the massacre of elephants for their ivory. I thought, "Someone ought to write a poem about that!" A day later I wrote that poem.

I returned to the original 19th century nursery rhyme "Ten Little Indians" and the minstrel song "Ten Little N----rs" for inspiration to craft my poem. Those rhymes popularized a fun way for children to learn counting, but people now consider those rhymes racist and politically incorrect for celebrating the genocide of indigenous peoples and blacks. I recycled many of the same rhyming words and the genocidal nature of those rhymes and applied them to elephants.

My poem catalogues tactics poachers use to kill elephants for their tusks: guns (AK-47), theft from animal preserves and zoos, aerial attack, pits, poison-tipped spears, machetes, wire snarls, cyanide-spiked watermelons, and anti-tank mines. Like humans, elephants grieve. My last and final elephant dies of grief. I keep the ending of my poem in harmony with earlier counting rhymes which portray the last Native American or black person hanging himself out of loneliness.

I thank Brooke's "Ten Elephants" poem for inspiration to write mine.

I also thank drtruffle for the image "Mourning Mom."
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sis Cat All rights reserved.
Sis Cat has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.