Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 10, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Big Goverment for the Rich

Brother can you spare a dime?

by ElPoetry001



Nine Meat Balls-Brother Can You Spare a Dime?

He microwaved a quick meal. A Stouffer's classic "Swedish Meatballs" -net weight eleven and 1/2 ounces. A plastic tray of seven small meatballs is usually the prize. They also have some noodles included. He always doubted if the actual contents are the weight as advertised.

We call them "shoes," because of how they smell, as they are being cooked, and later.

However, today there were nine meatballs. Big deal you say, but he saw it as a "sign."
He felt as if he had been an apprentice to "Job," of the Bible, his whole life, but this time it may mean that there may be a positive ending to one of his many chronic problems. Grasping, yes he was grasping, yes, grasping. A solution to a problem construed to provide closure.

Although he has a place to stay, he is penniless, without a job, with outstanding debts that still haunt him from years ago. The irony is that he cannot afford to file for bankruptcy.

Oh yes, there is more. He does not have any source of income. There is no unemployment compensation, no workers' compensation, no welfare, and no healthcare or Medicaid, for a perpetual "Job."

Living in a State that has no exchanges for affordable "Health care"--no subsidies--does not provide him the money to get prescriptions filled for OCD and Bipolar mental problems. Being over, fifty puts him in the marginal--nearly invisible--group of persons who become invisible, and are not recognized for any government programs.

He was working, last year, but lost his job. He made just enough money to be disqualified from all health insurance and prescriptions. If you are broke, you cannot buy the drugs that are being sold illegally, on the streets, and overpriced at the pharmacy.

Nevertheless, the metaphor of nine meatballs was a hope that the newspaper employment ads just may increase to include a job. Lame, sure, it is lame, but so is Disney's 'When you wish Upon a Star."

Without any visible injuries, scars, or walking or talking problems, many scorn him when he tells them he is out of work.

They, like the government, do not do their math: The government claims that 100,000 or more jobs are added to the workforce every month, but they fail to say they are spread over 50 States, and most are at minimum wage level, without benefits.
Of course, they do not say that several million people are looking for jobs.

It is sort of like the song: "Don't cry for me, Argentina." When you are seeking, at a minimum, some level of acceptance, when you find financial problems dictate your image, your social standing, and your existence.

".. It won't be easy, you'll think it strange when I try to explain how I feel. That I still need your love after all that I've done..."

Being "poor;" is "social leprosy" that pushes you aside when you are no longer given the opportunity to compete in the job market, providing your time and talents, to gain the coin of the realm, the dollar, the dinero. Even college graduates are being affected, by the financial famine that Is strangling our economy.

The United States Government has failed to provide the jobs that workers need. "Open Borders has become the death knell for our economy.

Yes, we should welcome oppressed peoples from foreign countries, but we should not let them all come in at once. No one would have survived the sinking of the Titanic if boats made for 200 passengers had been opened to the additional 300 people that wanted to get on each of the boats that had a maximum capacity of 200 souls.

Being a veteran does not get anyone a job, or even take away their PTSD.
Illegal immigrants are not veterans of wars fought by the United States. Their parents are not veterans.

It seems, in many ways that the United States Government is giving preference to anyone and everyone that wants to be in the United States; the government is subsidizing illegal immigrants. We need order, not chaos.

The whole economic situation, for the unemployed, is a lot like Marlon Brando's [Terry] conversation with Rod Steiger [Charlie]- On the Waterfront

Charlie: "Look, kid, I know how much you weigh, son. When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds, you were beautiful. You coulda been another Billy Conn, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast.

Terry: "It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, 'Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson.' Do you remember that? "This ain't your night!"
My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors in the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money."

Charlie: "Oh, I had some bets down for you. You saw some money."
Terry: "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley."

The United States Government bets on Wall Street, the banks, and the major auto manufacturers, and bails them out, but does little to help U.S. Citizens. Billions are given to foreign countries; for what? Oil and gasoline are still out of reach for the poor.

Our government has made "also ran" a status for many of our citizens, crossing the economic finish line behind the illegal immigrants.

He often says, "I may be crazy, but I am not lazy. Don't put me into a financial dive for the short end money. You members of the House and Senate don't understand--with a job, I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you with all your giving to big business, and foreigners who will certainly vote for the Santa Claus that waived their illegal entry to the United States, provided automatic citizenship for their children, and gave them jobs and welfare.

We are not prodigal sons [and daughters] we have not shared in the banquet of the free people of the United States. You seek treaties to keep us from a nuclear war, but you overlook the necessities of daily living.

A house divided against itself cannot stand. Right now, it is the Government against the people.

Yes, he is thankful for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but our Government should keep us out of depression. Is our country coming full circle to the financial depression, and emotional depression that followed our involvement in previous foreign wars?

Who could have said it better than "Brother Can You Spare a Dime?"
Written by Gorney, Jay / Harburg, E. Y.

They used to tell me I was building a dream
And so I followed the mob
When there was earth to plow or guns to bear
I was always there, right on the job

They used to tell me I was building a dream
With peace and glory ahead
Why should I be standing in line
Just waiting for bread?

Once I built a railroad, I made it run
Made it a race against time
Once I built a railroad, now it's done
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Once I built a tower up to the sun
Brick and rivet and lime
Once I built a tower, now it's done
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, gee, we looked swell
Full of that Yankee Doodly Dum
Half a million boots went slogging through Hell
And I was the kid with the drum
Say, don't you remember? They called me 'Al'
It was 'Al' all the time
Why don't you remember? I'm your pal
Say buddy, can you spare a dime?

















Recognized


We are being ruled by those who seek perpetual status as legislators: The United States Congress: House and Senate, regale themselves as the modern day Senate of Rome, where all are elevated to Star status, and rapidly become millionaires by favoring Wall Street, the Banks, the Auto Makers, and foreign countries, lobbying for corporations and foreign countries, after retiring from government employment.

Now, they are trying to stifle our freedom of speech. It is interesting to note that you cannot state your personal opinion as to what you conclude the President believes in or loves--President Obama. Nevertheless, people were allowed to write books on How To Kill a President--George Bush. Now, trying to destroy anyone who says anything contrary to the government's message.

We need to get the transparency that was promised. We must demand it.
We need to speak out, Now.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ElPoetry001 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
ElPoetry001 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.