Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 5, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Classic Country Music Gold Nashville Biographical Essay

Roy Acuff

by Brett Matthew West

Born on September 15, 1903 in Maynardsville, near Knoxville, in the Smokey Mountains area of the Volunteer State, Roy Claxton Acuff became famously well known as the King of Country Music.

Most frequently credited with turning Country Music from its String Band format into a Star-based format Roy Acuff achieved international success for the musical format.

Suffering a nervous breakdown, and a sunstroke from over exposure to the sun, before joining Dr. Hauer's Medicine Show that toured the Southern Appalachian Mountains, Roy Acuff formed the Tennessee Crackerjacks that performed regularly on the WNOX and WROL Radio Stations in Knoxville.

Obtaining a contract with the American Record Corporation based on the popularity of his songs "The Great Speckled Bird" and "Wabash Cannonball" Roy Acuff was the fiddler and singer of The Smokey Mountain Boys.

Roy Acuff originally joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1938 where he remained one of its Key Members for more than forty years.

Along with Fred Rose he founded Acuff-Rose Music that signed Hank Williams, Patti Page, The Everly Brothers, and Roy Orbison to recording contracts.

Roy Acuff appeared in the motion picture known as Grand Ole Opry with Uncle Dave Macon and George D. Hay, who founded the Grand Ole Opry Radio Program. Additionally, Roy Acuff appeared in several other motion pictures as well.

Performing with other Grand Ole Opry members at various tent shows around the Southeastern United States Roy Acuff hosted the Prince Albert segment of the Grand Ole Opry, but left that fabled institution in 1946.

Involved in a serious automobile crash in 1965 Roy Acuff only made token appearances with Bashful Brother Oswald, a long time bandmate, and occasionally on the Grand Ole Opry he had returned back to, after that.

Roy Acuff found a new audience in Folk Music after appearing on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will The Circle Be Unbroken album, and when the Grand Ole Opry moved from the Ryman Auditorium to its new permanent home at the Grand Ole Opry House on March 16, 1974.

The first show performed in the new Grand Ole Opry House opened with a huge picture of Roy Acuff displayed on the screen above the stage and one of his 1939 recordings playing on the sound system. George D. Hay introduced Roy Acuff at that show and Roy Acuff performed "Wabash Cannonball".

Roy Acuff lived in a house on the property of the Grand Ole Opry House location and became the first Country Music Performer to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award from the John F. Kennedy Center For The Performing Arts.

He was also very well known for his many Gospel Music recordings and for his Covers of popular songs from various genres of the day.

In all Roy Acuff recorded 44 albums, 20 Singles, and appeared on 2 Guest Singles.

Roy Acuff, the King of Country Music, died on November 23, 1992 from congestive heart failure at the age of 89 years old.



Recognized


This was originally published on my classiccountrymusicgoldnashville. com website.

I invite you to visit my website where you will find many more Feature Articles on some of Classic Country Music's biggest Legends, stories behind some of Classic Country Music's biggest Hits, and so much more.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.