Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 4, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
From my classiccountrymusicgoldnashville.com website

The One And Only Hank Williams

by Brett Matthew West

Named after the Phoenician King Hiram I of Tyre the Classic Country Music Icon Hank Williams was born Hiram King Williams on September 17, 1923 in Mount Olive, Alabama in the South-Central part of the Yellowhammer State.

He was born with spina bifida occulta that caused him life long pain and led to his famous use of drugs and alcohol. As a young child Hank Williams lived in several Alabama towns including Greenville, Garland, and Georgiana.

Hank Williams met Rufus "Tee Tot" Payne, a Black Street Performer who taught him how to improvise chords on a guitar, taught him the song "My Bucket's Got A Hole In It," and had a major influence on his musical style.

Hiram King Williams changed his name to "Hank" because he felt it was a better sounding Country Music name and began his career in Montgomery, Alabama by hosting a fifteen minute program on WSFA Radio in 1937.

It was during this time that he also first recorded "Calling You," "My Love For You Has Turned To Hate," and "I Don't Care (If Tomorrow Never Comes). Additionally, he formed the Drifting Cowboys Band at this time and quit school to become a full time Country Music Performer.

Other popular Performers who had major influences on Hank Williams musical style included Moon Mullican, Roy Acuff, and Jimmie Rodgers.

Hank Williams signed his first recording contract with MGM Records where he recorded his music until he died, except for the songs "Honky Tonkin'" "Will I Knock On Your Door," and "Never Again," that he had recorded for Sterling Records in New York City.

His first major Country Music Hit Single was the 12-Bar Blues song known as "Move It On Over" that reached the Number 4 position on the Billboard Country Singles Chart and became extremely influential to Rock and Roll Music.

Joining the Louisiana Hayride in 1948 Hank Williams Classic "Lovesick Blues," that had been previously recorded by Emmett Miller and Rex Griffin, that he performed on that appearance of the Louisiana Hayride, popularized him in Mainstream Country Music.

Initially rejected by the Grand Ole Opry Hank Williams became a member of that fabled institution on June 11, 1949 and received six encores from the fans in attendance that night. Hank Williams would later be fired from the Grand Ole Opry shortly before his death.

Known as The Singing Kid, The Hillbilly Shakespeare, and Luke the Drifter, Hank Williams won a Talent Contest at the Empire Theater in Montgomery, Alabama as a young teenager when he performed "WPA Blues," his first original song lyrics. These lyrics were set to "Dissatisfied" by Riley Puckett of the Skillet Lickers Old-Time Band, who recorded the earliest Hillbilly records on the Columbia Records label.

Hank Williams published his first songbook of lyrics in 1945 that was known as Original Songs Of Hank Williams that he sang on WSFA Radio program, and was signed to a recording contract by Fred Rose of Acuff-Rose Music, after auditioning for him while Fred Rose played ping-pong at the WSM Studios in Nashville.

Hosting his own Country Music program on KWKH Radio in Shreveport, Louisiana Hank Williams was also a member of the first European Tour made by the Grand Ole Opry in 1949.

Hank Williams began his Luke The Drifter performances singing such songs as "Wealth Won't Save Your Soul" and "When God Comes And Gathers His Jewels".

In 1950 he released many Country Music Hits including "Cold, Cold Heart," that Tony Bennett released a Cover of on September 23, 1952, a Hit that remained on the Billboard Country Music chart for 27 weeks.

Hank Williams last recording session produced "Your Cheatin' Heart," "Take These Chains From My Heart," and "Kaw-Liga".

On December 31, 1952 Hank Williams was scheduled to perform in Charleston, West Virginia and hired Charles Carr, a college student, to drive him to the show. Charles Carr called the Municipal Auditorium and told them Hank Williams would not make the performance because of an ice storm and was told to take him to a New Year's Day concert in Canton, Ohio. Enroute Charles Carr stopped to eat in Bristol, Virginia and for gas in Oak Hill, West Virginia. It was there Charles Carr found Hank Williams dead on the backseat of his Cadillac.

The cause of Hank Williams death, after the autopsy was performed, was "right ventricle of the heart deficiency" according to Doctor Ivan Malinin who performed the procedure. He also showed signs of being hit in the head and other recent injuries as well.

An estimated 15,000 to 25,000 fans attended the viewing of Hank Williams coffin at his Mother's boarding house in Montgomery, Alabama.

Hank Williams last Single released in his life time was "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive," and "Your Cheatin' Heart" was released after he died, remaining the Number 1 song on the Billboard Country Music chart for six weeks.

There were twelve albums, and one Live Album, recorded by Hank Williams. He also appeared on nineteen Compilation albums, and released 61 Singles, eleven of which were Billboard Country Music Number 1 Hits.

Honored with a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame Hank Williams was presented with the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Special Awards and Citations for his pivotal role in transforming Country Music.

Hank Williams was 29 years old when he died.




Recognized


This Feature Article was taken from a collection of Classic Country Music articles I previously published on my classiccountrymusicgoldnashville.com website.

I invite you to check my website out. There you will find more biographies on Classic Country music's biggest Performers, stories behind some of Classic Country Music's biggest Hits, and so much more.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.