General Poetry posted February 25, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
225 words

Eating Up The Miles

by giraffmang


eyes pierce the night sky
an angry growl from the beast
the miles eaten up

Drowsy now. No food. No water. Stuffy air. Wife and little one asleep at last after tense day. No more kicking the back of my seat. Peace at last.
Too quiet. Stereo low. Tires drone on patched concrete. Hypnotic. Tired.
 
Slumber seeks refuge
Clouded thoughts pull down the shades
Steering wheel pulls left

Thumping and bumping. The wife awakes. A cry from the rear. A jerk of the head. Eyes snap open, and a pull to the right. Stern words come my direction. Disapproving groans and words. Neck roll. Face slap. Good to go.
 
As silence descends
Stillness returns to claim car
Dad prays for rest stop

Blue sign spotted. Three miles to go. A burger and coffee and fill up the tank. Indicators on. Slip road ahead. Service area reached. A turn of the key. The beast slumbers. Still they sleep. Dad escapes. Smiles and a stretch. Toilet. Food and coffee. Back into the car and starts the engine. Indicators. Slip road. Motorway.
 
A fresh hell erupts
"Dad, Dad, I need the toilet"
Next stop twenty miles

Kicks to my seat. Screams in the night.

Admonishes the wife, "Why did you not wake us?"

Dad sighs. Tunes out the noise. Turns up the stereo.

Chris Rea "Road To Hell."


 



Mixed Prose and Poetry writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
THEME MUST BE A DOMESTIC CAR JOURNEY.

NO POLICE CAR CHASE OR RACE-TRACK THEMES, FOR EXAMPLE.

TERSE, FRAGMENTED PROSE PREFERRED, WITH AS LITTLE WORD PADDING/WASTAGE AS POSSIBLE.

YOU MUST INCLUDE AT LEAST TWO 3-LINED SENRYU (UP TO SEVENTEEN SYLLABLES IN EACH) THAT REFLECT THE THEME, AND BLEND INTO THE STORY.

NO ARTWORK.

NO AUTHOR NOTES.

MIN 150, MAX 250 WORDS.

'DEFINITION' ABOVE TITLE MUST INCLUDE A CLEARLY VISIBLE WORD COUNT, BUT NOTHING ELSE.

TWO COLOUR PRESENTATION ONLY - ONE FOR BACKGROUND AND ONE FOR TEXT.

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. giraffmang All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
giraffmang has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.