Young Adult Fiction posted January 29, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
First kiss...

A Kiss by the Book

by jmdg1954

















I pulled the reference book from the shelf. Stupid, heavy book. I shuffled to the back of the library away from most students and sat on the cushioned arm of the chair. With a thud, I dropped into the seat and slunk back to study.

I heard other shuffling footsteps coming closer, followed by, "Mind if I join you?"

Quickly embarrassed and unsure what to do, I shrugged my shoulders. I cleared my throat, squirmed and scooted to the left. Before I could answer, he climbed in beside me. Oh no, his hip's touching mine!

He smelled of Brut cologne. I almost choked. It was the most intoxicating and dreamy scent I ever smelt. We sat pretending to read, not saying a word. It was awkward until his knee brushed against mine. Did he mean to do that... I think he meant to do that!

He broke the silence by commenting on what he read in his psych text book. Something maybe about relationships. I can't remember what exactly it was he said, but it soon turned to the topic of kissing and if I thought it weird to kiss with your eyes open.

I swallowed. My heart jumped to my throat. My stomach dropped to my knees. My eyes pierced the floor. I finally muttered, "Uh yeah, totally!" OMG, lame answer...

He moved dangerously close. He prefaced his next move with something like, "Hmmm, I don't know . . . should we try it out?"

He waited. When my terror-filled eyes met his, he laid one on me. What a gentlemen. His lips touched mine. His lips... touched mine!

Suddenly I was floating, weightlessly in space. Kissing with your eyes open isn't weird. It's the best! We continued. Eyes open. Closed. Open. Then closed. Then open again. I had no idea kissing could be so, so razz-a-ma-tazz-ingly groovey.

We were finally interrupted by a forced cough from the librarian, followed by a stern look and raised eyebrow. "Library is closed," was all she said.

In a nervous huff I rushed home and spent half the night telling Bumpkins, my teddy bear, about the kiss.  I was a big mush and replayed the night's event in my head for hours.



Recognized


I both missed the contest and rarely do poetry. Just a little something fun.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.