Romance Fiction posted January 25, 2015 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Preparations are made to head home.

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Doce; part Uno

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

A wolf-hybrid came out of nowhere and attacked Mack.

A dark haired man aimed a six-shooter at Soni, and with an accent said, "We finally meet. Soni Alder, I'm El Amarillo. I'm sure you've heard of me." When Soni didn't answer, he continued, "I wanted you to know my name before I kill you."

Growls, snarls, and yelps filled the air.

TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER TWELVE

Soni stared down the barrel of the six-shooter. As she swallowed, the man staggered and then fell to the ground. Blood spurted from a bullet hole a few inches above his right ear. Soni glanced at Jim, who lowered his sniper rifle, and then ran for Mack. The wolf-dog had run away at the sound of the rifle shot.

"Butkus, Goliath, here now!" Soni called after the two dogs chasing the animal. She cuddled Mack and checked his wounds. "You're going to be sore for a while, but your thick, white fur probably saved your life. That wolf got a mouthful of hair. I'll get you cleaned up. At home, the vet will check you." Butkus and Goliath sniffed Mack.

Jim stood beside Soni. "You hurt?"

"No." Soni brushed dirt from her jeans as she stood. "My gut says we'll see that wolf-dog again."

"Seems like I missed the action." Alex placed his hand on her arm. "My truck and horse trailer are parked about three miles back. Why don't you take Midnight and Mack? You'll be home in a few hours. I'll ride back with Jim and let Smoky follow." Alex glanced at Banjo, his horse, tied by the shack.

"I'll go back the way I came. Midnight will follow. If he acts up, I'll have Butkus hold his reigns." Soni surveyed the area. "Mack'll ride back with you. He'll probably be all right, but have the doc check him. He may need some stitches. And let Tatiana know the hair she always complains about saved his life." She adjusted her hat. "I think we're done here. I'm ready to hit the road." Soni followed Jim and Alex into the shed before she addressed Jim, "Can you share your plan or is it still secretive?"

"Some friends of mine are sending a few Homeland security agents to arrest these guys." Jim glanced at his watch. "They should be here in about fifteen minutes."

"You can leave. I'll wait." Alex busied himself.

"What if more men return? You'll be by yourself." Soni tried to ignore the man who said she'd be dead in a few days, but her eyes gravitated toward him.

"Que pasa, Indian Squaw?" He laughed.

Jim walked to him and gut punched him.

The man gasped.

"Shut-up or I'll shut you up. I wonder if you'll be as talkative when you're being interrogated." Jim glared into his eyes.

"I'm checking the horses. They've been tied a long time." Soni walked outside. Mack limped beside her. She walked back into the shed and made a bed of hay for him. "Stay here, boy." She then turned and left.

"Damn female! Hasn't she had enough excitement for one day?" Jim set his jaw. "There are probably more men waiting to ambush her."

"I heard that," Soni called over her shoulder. Haven't you learned that I can take care of myself?"

"Yeah! I just witnessed it." Jim didn't try to hide the sarcasm.

"Whatever!" Soni called back. "I had a plan."

"Jim, give up. You won't win this." Alex motioned to the dogs. "Butkus, Goliath, stay by Soni. Don't leave her side."

"How much do those two understand?" Jim watched the animals jog to catch up with Soni.
"Not really sure, but I can tell you that I've been surprised on many occasions."

*****
A few minutes later, the sound of dogs barking was punctuated by single rifle shot. Jim was the first to arrive where the horses were tied. Alex wasn't far behind.





Recognized


Thank you google images for an image of a diamondback rattle snake. Please notice that I list this novel under romance. I don't pretend to be a western author. I know this story's setting is in Texas, but it's just the setting. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.