Humor Poetry posted January 25, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Shakespearean Sonnet - contest entry

To Cata

by tfawcus

The luscious berry's red, Desire its name.
It tastes obscenely fragrant, sugar-sweet.
I hold it on my tongue and feel no shame,
Enjoying aromatic, tropic heat.

A subtle scent of lemon fills my void;
It mingles soft with jasmine of the night;
The blackness is a sin to be enjoyed.
My senses quicken, heartbeat's out of sight,

For these ripe beans that rev me for my date
Were plucked from Costa Rica's highland slopes,
And ground with loving care to Number 8,
And as they plunged, they raised my ardent hopes.

I pray my girl is sparked with like desire;
Her coffee-coloured skin sets me on fire.



Sonnet Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized


While staying with my daughter in Madrid, a fresh consignment of coffee was delivered to her door. The accompanying notes read:

'Mermelada de frutos rojos e intensos aromas a flores de jazmin y limon. Frutas tropicales y acidez de pia. Sutiles toques citricos. Jugoso y sabores a fruta extremadamente madura. Limpio, transparente y cremoso. Debido a su proceso pronuncia de forma descarada el dulzora,'

which I made an amateurish effort to translate (with some help from Google) as,

'Berry jam and intense aromas of jasmine flowers and lemon. Tropical fruit and pineapple acidity. Subtle citrus touches. Extremely juicy and ripe fruit flavours . Clean, clear and creamy. Because the process shamelessly pronounced sweetness.'

It occurred to me that the people who market Costa Rican Cata coffee must either be charlatans or poets!

I included my own humble coffee plunger in this poem. Our coffee shop in the Adelaide Central Market grinds my beans using a setting of Number 8. My daughter and her partner would not be seen dead using a plunger. Their coffee-making paraphernalia comes straight from the pages of science fiction!

Sadly, the coffee-coloured mistress is just a figment of my imagination...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. tfawcus All rights reserved.
tfawcus has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.