General Fiction posted January 22, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A SAFETY WARNING TO PARENTS.

I ~SPANIEL.~

by write hand blue


                BY
   WRITE HAND BLUE


                                                                                              'I' ~SPANIEL~


                                  A Story for the Family

                                                                                                   AND

                                                                          A SAFETY WARNING TO PARENTS.





This is a story for the whole family to read. I believe that some parents or persons with small children under their roof will benefit by reading this story.

You may care to read my writers notes first. Then perhaps you will want to read this story before possibly reading it to a child...



                                                              


                                                                                'I' ~Spaniel~




My story I know may seem strange to some people. Especially anyone who has not had as part of the family one of 'my kind, 'a--DOG.'

No, this is not a joke. Before I introduce myself perhaps I should explain. I am most unusual; I was born with a certain ability to learn the human language.

I understand that most of my fellow breeds are able to recognise a lot of words. Where I'm different, is that I have been able to learn more and more as time passed by. In other words I'm a doggie that can learn and understand every word humans say to me. I also have another sense; you will learn all about as you read on.

My name is Jess and I'm a Cocker Spaniel. My colour is mostly black with small patches of white which means I am called a blue Rhone. Alas I must admit to having a good share of grey hair now showing through my coat. This begs the question, 'How old am I?'

Well, I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth. I do not wish to declare my age. I am a lady after all.


I came to this loving family some years ago as a rescue dog. My first master was a good man who lived on his own. Because of his bad health, he had to send me to the animal shelter while I was still young. I have a few memories left of this time, doggy memories I call them.

I feel ill even now at the thought of those kennels where I spent two months. I was not mistreated, because my keeper Sue was most kind to me.

Being locked in a kennel day after day made me worry and feel very ill. I know that I barked a lot; I wanted to go back home. I also cried a lot. Yes, dogs do cry.--That day I met my new master I remember well. This was a great relief to me.

***

I heard two humans as they approached down that stark echoing corridor. One was light footed and I knew it was Sue. The other was a man I had never met. I used my special sense as I listened to his footsteps.

I have a very good nose like all dogs. And I could smell his distinctive scent as it drifted before him. This I would describe as being like wood smoke and hay with the healthy body smell of a good man. My mind was made up before I had even set my eyes upon him.

I was certain that he would pick me. My senses were to be proven right.

Sue unlocked the cage as she spoke.

"This is Jess; she has been a little disturbed and barks sometimes. However I see she is behaving herself at the moment."

"Yes, I've read that this is common with rescue dogs. I can see she is quite intelligent by her bearing and the way she looks at me," the man bent down and looked closely at me.

I lifted my paw and he took hold of it. Then with a friendly smile he announced.

"I'm Stephen and pleased to meet you."

I smiled back.

Although only just out of the puppy stage, I understood a good bit of the human language. My instinct guided me as I sat there and wagged my tail.

I licked his hand as he stroked my ears. His kindly eyes met mine. I flashed my big brown eyes for a second and gave him a really big smile. In my eagerness I grabbed hold of a small toy and barked a greeting at the same time. This sounded a little muffled.

"Well she's certainly taken to you. That's for sure," Sue announced.

Stephen looked a little sad.

"As you know our Labrador 'Snowy' died recently and now I'm looking for another dog. Jess is not big for a Spaniel. But just look! That tail hasn't stopped wagging. Yes! I'll take Jess. I have picked the right one, I know I have."

The truth is--I picked him...

***

After a short drive we arrived at my new home. Stephen's wife Mandy was taken by surprise.

"I thought you said, 'No more dogs' when Snowy died."

Stephen looked at her sheepishly.

"I was passing by the animal shelter and I thought I would take a look. Inside they had about nine dogs including Jess...here!" He pointed to me.

"Couldn't help myself once I saw her."

Mandy walked over to me as I stood next to Stephen. I liked her from the start. She stroked me and said, "At least she is a bitch. She may be better behaved than Snowy was."

Mandy sniffed at the thought of Snowy's memory. She missed him.

My master led the way into the children's front playroom. There I met the twins, Mathew and Ben who were four years old at the time. The attraction for me was instant, and I like to think that they liked me also.

It was not long before I heard Mandy say.

"I swear Jess can understand every word I say."

This was not true at the time, although I did understand a lot of the words and other things. With my instincts I was usually more aware of things going on around us, as I watched out for my human family.

***

You may be wondering how I learned to talk. It all started about two years after I arrived at my new home. One day during the school holidays
I had fallen asleep as the boys played together in the front room.

I woke up with a yelp! Noisily and with vigour I shook my head, this caused my long ears to slap each side of my head and chin. I always did this to shake the sleep away from my tired eyes. After the largest of yawns I sensed that all was not right. It was far too quiet, apart from a gagging sound.

Something was wrong!

Mathew stood at the far end of the room looking at me with bulging, panic stricken eyes. Three bounds and I was there. His fingers grabbed frantically at his neck, our eyes--locked--and an awful thing happened. So 'AWFUL' that the power of human speech can neither describe nor explain. I actually felt the extreme panic of Mathew as he choked.

Little Ben stood helpless as his brother's face turned blue and he didn't know what to do.

But I did--because I knew--and darted into the kitchen where Mandy was baking cakes. She looked down at me. I whined, and barked my head off.

"There's something wrong, I know it."

I looked her in the eyes and nodded my head, as I have seen my master do. I barked and ran back to the room. She was worried enough to follow behind me.

"Is everything all right boys? I only left you a few minutes ago.--Oh NO!  She screamed.

Somehow Mathew had got himself caught up with a looped cord that had twisted tightly around his neck. You know the one I mean--the one used to control window blinds.

The cord was twisted tightly, but Mandy was able to quickly untie the cord and call an ambulance.

Mathew was given oxygen and taken to the hospital for a check up. I remember that the doctor announced that he appeared to be alright. This I overheard at home as my master spoke on the phone. Dogs are not of course allowed in a hospital.

"Mandy, look at Jess! She's sat in front of me smiling. She knows what I said on the phone. I'm sure she was listening to me talk about Mathew."

Mathew was a changed boy the next day. He had bounced back to normal as young boys do, with only a dark red mark around his neck to show for his near escape.

As soon as we were alone he came up to me close and I licked his nose.

"You and I are best friends now forever. I know you understand more than you pretend."

I looked into pale blue eyes that indicated wisdom past his years and nodded.

"We're going to talk to each other. I'll teach you."

Again I stared at him as I wondered how.

"You see I can tell you are thinking and questioning what I say."

I looked up at where my favourite training toy was kept.

"Yes, let's play." said Mathew.

***

My Master gave me half of his steak at dinner on that first night.

Don't expect this all the time, we don't want you to get as fat as a pig.

The boys both thought that was funny and laughed'

He looked down at me.

"Looks like we have a dog in a million here. We will never forget what you did. I know you don't understand Jess.--A reporter from the Daily Star is coming here this evening to interview us."

I understood every word as I gave him that --'do you think I'm daft?'--look.

He knelt down, rolled me onto my back and rubbed my tummy. I always enjoyed that.

"Well, I am a dog after all."




                                                           §       

 
 



Recognized


NOTES.
I have tried to write this in a neutral fashion. My intention is to not frighten a child, but just to impart a little safety education in the form of a story about a talking dog.

It's a tragic fact that there have been several fatalities where young children have been asphyxiated in the above described circumstances.

We had blinds with these cords/strings. This was at the time when we raised our two boys. Had we known I would have removed the threat. But we didn't realise at the time. We were fortunate that nothing happened.

I would tie them securely way up and out of their reach. Or if there is anything your child can climb on nearby, then I would remove the cords altogether.

If just one person takes heed of the facts described, then my work is done.

Last but not least, Jess is the name of our dog and the one described in the story. But she can't talk of course. LOL.
She is twelve years old and is suffering from bladder cancer. So this is a little appreciation to her for all the love she has shown us over the years.

I wish to thank you for reading my work, as always this is most appreciated.
:) Mel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. write hand blue All rights reserved.
write hand blue has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.